Monday, December 5, 2011

Willie Hicks

The transition from high school to college wasn’t a very easy transition for me. I did all four of my high school years Home schooling online. I enjoyed it for the most part, for the reason that, I was able to work at my own pace. My main problem was reading, I really hated it and would find ways around actually picking up a book and reading. In high school, when I had to do a book report I would choose the novels that later became movies because I’m more of a visual person, I found that simpler and a lot quicker, then actually sitting down to read the book. It took me day or so to write the report. I would do it at the last minute and cram everything in the night before it was due. Returning to a classroom had an early effect on me. For example, I would over sleep and miss classes so I had to adjust to actually getting dressed and out the door every morning on time. I also had to prepare for classes earlier.

My major is business. I haven’t decided if I’m going to minor in the finance or management field. Both require a lot of reading. I would more than likely have to read contracts, financial documents, tax returns, Business proposals and plans. I definitely wouldn’t be able to ease my way through my classes anymore or make excuses of any sort. My number one weakness is I procrastinate, so I have to plan things out earlier and focus to conquer it, if not, I would rely on others more than I want to. As a businessman I want to rely heavily on myself. However, I always want to keep an open mind and except others help or constructive criticism on certain ideas and plans.

I’ll make every effort to be successful because successful people figure out how to adjust to difficult or uncomfortable environments. I realize that I have to remove distractions, set a purpose, and take notes which are really necessary actions for me to be successful in college and one day in Business.

Using my secret reading formulas, I was able to find out that my learning profile is a visual learner. It enables me to find simple and easier ways that will lead me to making reading more of an enjoyment then an obligation. I would look at the pictures before, during, and after reading. As well as writing important ideas down, it helps me undercover patterns and examine relationships between certain key concepts. While I’m reading I would use highlighters which keep my mind interested and focused on the text. The highlighters would highlight important quotes, words, and even things I didn’t understand in the text.

I can say that my freshman year has taught me that college and high school are without doubt two different educational worlds. I’ve learned that I can’t continue some of my old high school study habits. I really have to buckle down and focus if I want a thriving career in business. In addition to putting my best foot forward, I have to set goals and maintain them and conquer my reading demons.

4 comments:

  1. ma man willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. couldnt agree more that high school and college are way different

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willie good job man really like it I had some of the same problems

    ReplyDelete
  4. sooo true bro ; had those same problems we need to make sure we stay successful in learning and business so we can get those maybachs !

    ReplyDelete