Monday, December 5, 2011

Hailey Schuchart

Throughout my four years of high school, I struggled with wanting to read. Reading seemed to be a hassle for me so I barely ever opened a book. Whenever a reading assignment was given for homework or I had to read something for one of my classes, I would always try to find the easy way out. I would read the back of the book for a quick overview and go to different websites to find more information. I would also ask my friends about the assignment because I knew they read it and would give me a quick summary. I would always end up getting all the information that I needed to know, but once I started college I realized that I was on my own and needed to change my habits.

My career goal after graduating from college is to become an Elementary Teacher. As an elementary teacher, I will have to read textbooks so I can plan my lessons as well as reading and grading assignments. From Reading Secrets, I have learned and practiced different strategies that I can use to be successful such as, removing distractions and taking notes. Removing distractions is a great way to keep your mind focused on strictly one thing without having to stop every five minutes to check your phone or change the channel on the television. Taking notes is great way to identify key concepts and connect information that you already know to new information. This helps you stay focused on what you are reading and you are not bored because you are always writing. This is nothing less than a one-way ticket to success!

When I started applying these strategies, I realized drastic changes in my grades. Every assignment became easy because I was able to stay focused on one thing and was able to fully understand what I was reading. I was receiving grades that I have never received before and I was motivated to drop my old habits and strive to do even better!

As a result of using these Reading Secret strategies, I am now a mature reader! Reading has become an educational and fun activity that seems natural to me. I have learned to prioritize so that I can still have fun and get great grades in all my classes without feeling overwhelmed because I get bored or don’t understand the text. Thanks to Reading Secrets I am able to prioritize and understand information that will lead me to success!

1 comment:

  1. u being a mature reader after using one of the reading secrets.
    Abdulaziz Gafar

    ReplyDelete