Friday, December 9, 2011

Erinn Getz

In the beginning of the semester I was going to study travel and tourism. As the weeks went by I had started to change my mind on my career choice. With that being said I think I want to study marine biology. If I study travel and tourism I know there will be heavy reading involved. I will have to read tons and tons of information about the places I plan on going to. If I do marine biology I think there will be a lot of note taking involved. My future college goals will to be on top of everything as in my classes, homework, projects etc. I need to be going to class every day, because even by missing one class I’m far behind. When I do my next assignments I want to put all effort and even some more, because halfway doesn’t get me very far.

In the beginning of the semester I was ready to begin the next four years of my life. I was fully focused and ready to learn. A few weeks passed and I started to slack off. My slacking off started to get out of control, I was missing assignments and failing quizzes. Finally one day I decided to study for the upcoming midterm. I studied enough just to get me by. I took the midterm and a week later saw I had received an A on the test. That is when I realized that when I put in effort to something I can actually achieve it. That is when I realized I was smarter than what I was portraying myself to be at the time.

The semester started to turn around for me when I started to apply effort and using the study habits I learned in class. I studied for a little bit each day and when it was time to take the next quiz I had remembered all of the information. I started to receive better grades, which then gave me more motivation to keep up my good study habits. In the beginning of the semester I thought the FLIRT phrase was not helpful to me at all and that I couldn’t use it. I had convinced myself I didn’t need to use it because the way I was learning and studying was helping. After we learned the DRIVE phrase I applied it to one of my projects in a different class, and after a few times of using the phrases I realized reading and studying was easier. My studying was going a lot faster, but I still was taking in tons more information.

Next semester when I have to read a large amount of text or do a huge project I know for sure I am going to use all the of techniques I learned in LLED. I’ve come to realize they do actually work and it shortens up my time spent on each project. I’m actually excited for my future projects because I now have confidence that I will do well on them. I now know a way to take in information and remember it! People may think that drawing pictures and talking back to the text is a weird thing, but if it helps me succeed in what I do, I’m using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment