Monday, December 5, 2011

Nathaniel Puryear

Reading Secret Formula is: #1 Remove Distractions + #3 Adjust Your Pace + #4 Take Notes = Accomplishments

I was not a fan of reading when I came out of high school, and now that I’m in college I have to read a lot more than I did in high school. I don’t want to sit in my room for hours just reading a book that I’m forced to read. Who wants to read a book that doesn’t interest them? But, then after I took this course reading for me has come a little easier than before. In the four years that I’m going to be in college I will be studying business management. Therefore I will have to read documents, and business laws. To guarantee future success, I will make sure I’m more organized, and not working at the last minute to get things done. I will use what I have learned in this course like the Flirt, Drive, and Relax phrases to make reading easier.

Studying for test and quizzes was factor in doing my well in some of my classes. For me to do well on tests and quizzes I had to use notes cards, sticky notes, and taking better notes. This would help me in remembering the information.

When I used to read I would read as fast I as could because I wanted to get it done as quickly as possible. Doing that didn’t work out so well, so I had to adjust my pace. I would read information that I didn’t know slower so I’m able to understand it and information that I already knew I would skim through it. It made reading much easier because there was no need to read information that you already knew. Another was taking good notes, it helped a lot. Taking good notes is the difference in understanding what you know. If you understand what you know the class becomes easy.

Another one of my reading strategies is to remove distractions. When I’m studying I make sure that all music, tv, and phone are turned off. Because I removed these distractions I’m able to study better and since I’m able to study better my grades have improved.

Learning from my past failures helped me to become a better reader today. If something like this happens again next semester, I know now that I have the confidence to get it done. I know the reading strategies, and the techniques to make reading and studying easier. Thanks to the Reading Secrets I’m now able to flirt my way to an A.

1 comment:

  1. Great job!! Keep up the awesome work!!!!! Kelsey Poe

    ReplyDelete