Monday, December 5, 2011

Dashawn Duncan

Since I was young I wanted to be a teacher. I wanted to give back in the same way that people helped me. When I was 15 no one could tell me anything and I didn’t want to hear it. Until one teacher got to me. She told me I have a good head, never quit, and I can do anything if I put my time and heart into it.
High School was easy to me, but the transition into college was a lot bigger then I was ready for. At times during the year I thought about just not coming anymore. I had stopped doing assignments for classes, I started not showing up to class, and waiting till the last minute to finish papers. Then I received my progress report, and my jaw almost hit the floor. I had a D or lower in all of my classes.

That’s when I remember what we were learning in Mrs. Wise’s classes. So first thing I did was try to organize everything from my classes, but that didn’t turn out the best either. Once everything was organized I created a radical schedule. On my radical schedule I had times written down for work, homework, training, studying, and even dinner. With this all accomplished I believed that good grades would simply just come to me, but that didn’t.

That’s when I realized that my problem wasn’t just organization and time management, but that I had a trouble understanding what I read and studying for my test and quizzes. I needed to remove my distractions when I read. At times I was more worried about my phone then I was my book or my assignment. Also I would wait till the night before my test to actually take time to study.

Once I decided to take what I learned in class and apply it all things started working out better. If I would have known it would’ve been this easy from the beginning, I would’ve done it at the beginning of the year. Now that I have the keys to success there is no way I’m going back to struggling.
Thank you Mrs. Wise for helping me make my future better.

4 comments:

  1. Dashawn, class just isn't going to be as exciting without you pushing my buttons! You sat right in front to make sure I was making sense to everyone in the class. The instant I said something confusing, you were letting me know. I am glad to hear you realize how intelligent you are and that the biggest obstacle for you, is YOU. Put yourself first and apply those brilliant brains you have in your head. If you do, I know you'll be on stage some day accepting the "Teacher of the Year" award. Go out and help all those kids who need someone who understands how hard it is to read, study, and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the transition from high to college is completely different, cant succeed in college by doing the same things you did in high school.

    WILLIE HICKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. The transition from high school to college can be very difficult. I have known you since high school and you have come along way ! I am so proud of you ! :) Keep up the good work ! -MyKeira

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great to hear that you did better with your classes. It's crazy because I use to be the same way then I would struggle to get my grades up and never had much time so it came to be all c in all my classes. I understand C' are average but then again I don't want to be seen as an average student because I'm not. The radical schedule I haven't used much honestly but I believe I will make a change to that.
    Sarah F

    ReplyDelete