Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Michael Pilsitz

In high school reading was one of the biggest struggles for me. I didn’t like to read not even a little bit, it felt like torture. I could never remember what I had just read, this frustrated me and made me dislike reading even more. A lot of times when trying to read I would fall asleep. Even if I would read something that drew attention and was a topic I enjoyed these things would still occur. Nothing I would do seem to work: I tried to taking notes but the notes I took were not good notes and did not help me, highlighting was not good either because I highlighted everything and couldn’t pick out the truly important information. Although I had these problems I still blew through high school without any problems. But in college my reading problems caught up with me. I tried to do the same things I did in high school thinking that I would get the same results but I was sadly mistaken. I knew that something had to change and fast before I dug a hole to deep to climb out of.

My career goal after college Is to be a physical therapist and be a sports therapist. As a physical therapist I will have to read books on the anatomy of the body, massages therapy, and the newest studies found by other professionals in the field. Out of the six reading secrets the ones that I uses and help the most would be remove distractions, set aside time to read, and take notes. By doing these step it gave me a controlled environment and something to reference afterwards.

At First I did not take all of the stratigies I learned In class and applied them in my studies, but when I finally did I saw my grades rise in every class I was taking. It taught me how to study, when to study , what type of environment to study in, and what to study. It also gave me more confidence to read, now instead of just blowing off reading I actually try in engage with the text and do my best to complete the task at hand.

After learning all I learn about reading and studying I try to give advice to all of my friend and family. I feel as though if this can help a student like me it can help just about anyone. Finding the best study habits to fit what kind of learner you are is the most beneficial way to learn, and I sugest you find yours. My reading secrets hekp me change the way I look at class work and it will help me for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that i struggled with reading in high school also, but the ewading secrets helped me too.

    Kris curry-davis

    ReplyDelete