Monday, December 5, 2011

Tanquasia Thomas

I went from High School having limited freedom, to college a world full of opened door, my decision on which one to take advantage of; this showed me I had a lot to learn. I never thought that going from eight hours a day five days a week, to sixteen hours a week could be just as hard. I learn about the same amount of work just at a faster pace. I had to establish something to keep up with this drastic change. The key was time management and organization, so now I had to fit this in to reach my career plan.

My career plan for my future is to obtain a business degree; then open up my own hair salon. While achieving this task I will have to do numerous things; reading, hard work, effort, perseverance and constant willingness. My weakness is reading so
I need to establish how I will be able to enjoy reading. I tend to do that by setting aside time to read and removing distractions when I read, as a result I will need to turn off my phone and isolate myself when it is time to read, and use my time management skills to set a specific time I will read daily. My goals throughout college to ensure my success will be to study hard and work hard.

I learned the keys of successfully completing college are by studying hard and working hard, my second week of school. I learned this in my Economics class due to the difficulty of understanding the concept and inability of studying the correct way to fit that course. The test I took in this class did not seem to be the average test, so I failed it because I study the wrong way. This made me very upset! I then had to go back and reevaluate my mistakes and establish a new way to study this material, and this was a wakeup call that everything is not as easy as it seemed. So from then on I had to study the lecture, the professors’ notes, my notes, and the course book. There was still not much of a change; this is when I established maybe this course was not for me. I could not maintain a B average as my GPA when I am totally failing this class.

This has not only showed me that college it not simple but also that there are numerous ways to study and I need to find out which one fits the course before I start studying. If I was put in that situation now, I would use my prior knowledge from that course, and establish a study habit that fits the course and seek help from a class member. This experience has prepared me for my next few semesters in college!

2 comments:

  1. I have a very similar story, and you understanding exactly what you have to do and how to do it, is amazing! Keep up the great work. Studying hard and working hard will get you a long way in college.

    Aminah Shareef

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Everyone has to find different ways of studying for different classes. I had that problem in math as well but we learn from our mistakes.

    Joselyne Vivar

    ReplyDelete