Monday, December 5, 2011

Holly Griffith

Since I was little I always wanted to attend Penn State and become a children’s lawyer. However, it has not always been so easy working towards that goal. I found that I needed to get good grades and do well in everything I did to obtain my goal. Since the moment I decided what I wanted to do I have worked my hardest to get there. And a couple years later I found myself attending Penn State and working towards my goal. Although it wasn’t an easy process to get through, being that I wasn’t always the best student. I found that I was very good at procrastinating and spending too much time goofing off rather than studying.

Once I got to college I found myself doing the same thing I was in high school. I was just like every other college student, just doing what I needed to, to get by. Up until the point I failed my first exam in college, and my professor told us if we failed the next exam we needed to drop the course. At first I just ignored the problem and just blew off studying. After a little while it finally clicked with me that if I didn’t want to fail, I needed to do something about it. Not accepting failure as an option I took some tips from one of my other classes LLED. LLED taught me how I could have a life and still get good grades. I learned that I was an auditory, visual, kinesthetic learner, which means I need to have a lot going on while studying. I also learned a few reading secrets that would help me to turn around all my grades, and my way of studying.

After my bad exam grade I found that if I used my learning profile and my reading secrets I could get good grades. My reading secrets are 1 Remove Distractions, 5 Stop When I am Confused, and lastly, 6 Set Aside Time to Read. I am constantly looking up words I don’t know, putting away my cell phone while working on school work, and highlighting, and taking notes. All of these tools help me to not only be a better reader, but a better student as well.

Once I learned how to study I found that the time I would spend studying flew by. LLED taught me a lot of things over the last semester that I will continue to use throughout my entire life. I have learned to never procrastinate my work, always remove my distractions, and last but not least always set aside time to do my work. Studying is now easy and sometimes can be fun for me. I can say this much, next semester I know not to fail an exam and always work at my best level.

1 comment:

  1. I have a very similar story! I was doing things just to get by, but just like you .. I realized that wasn't enough and I also learned from being in the LLED that I can still do work, get good grades and have a life. You'll do great next semester !

    Aminah Shareef

    ReplyDelete