Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Paitten Yanover

My reading secret is # 1, remove distractions, #2, taking notes and #3, time
management.

Coming out of high school we didn’t really have to read our
textbooks, coming to college is totally different we have to read everything
ourselves. I hated reading to being with, I’m one of those people that can read
when I want to not when I have to. After taking this class it helped me figure
out ways to make reading more interesting and a lot easier. I am going to major
in Human Development and Family Studies, so I have to stay up to date with all
the information about new things that come out about how we develop and age. So
I will have to make sure that I don’t wait till the last minute to do my work,
and make sure that I remove all distractions when I study so my mind can stay
focused on what I’m reading.

I have a hard time with making sure I have enough time to do
all my assignments, so what I have to do to stay organized I write down all my
homework and projects that need to be done and I do them in the order that I
got them in. I found that this is the only way for me to get everything done.

When I would read I would just read to get the book, or
article done I would never really understand what I was reading till this
class. This class gave me different ways of becoming connected and get into my
readings. I personally like to use writing notes in the margins and using the
highlighters. The notes kept my thoughts in order so I can go back and make
connections to the things that I already know. The highlighters kept all my
information organized, so I knew each color was a different topic. I find that
taking the notes and putting them in the margins helps me the most.

I always thought that when they told me to turn off the TV
or my phone so that I could concentrate was just because they didn’t want me to
use it. But I found that when I did those things while I was studying that it
worked and I could focus on my work, I started doing better in school and
getting A’s.

Now that I do all these things I have become a more mature
reader. Now I know the techniques that I need to use in order to be successful
in school. Making sure I have enough time to get all my work just flows with
the other things that I have to worry about now. I have more time to spend with
my friends and son. Thanks to My reading Secrets I can work smarter not harder!

1 comment:

  1. Paitten, I never knew you had a son! Your comment on getting connected to the text is brilliant, "The notes kept my thoughts in order so I can go back and make connections to the things that I already know. The highlighters kept all my information organized, so I knew each color was a different topic." Look how far you've come after just a few months of using these strategies. Just think what you can accomplish by applying them to every learning situation. You will be a huge success!

    ReplyDelete