Monday, December 5, 2011

Kelsey Poe

#1 Remove distractions + #4 Take notes + #6 Set aside time to read = Success

Being a freshman in college comes with many different situations with some being great others being bad. My first few weeks of college were really rough for me because of not knowing what to expect and coming out of high school and not knowing how to truly study. Being a business major I have many different things I need to learn like time management and study habits. In order to make myself successful in college I will use the reading secrets and not be afraid to ask for help.

I knew college was not going to an easy part of my life, but it wasn’t till I got into the first few weeks of college that I realized how bad I was at reading and studying. At first I was attending classes regularly and thought I was doing great. However, as I sat in my room one night with my mind screaming for me to stop staring at the textbook in front of me, and want me to watch my favorite television show I was missing because I procrastinated, was when I realized I needed to take action and change.

Once I knew that my mind wasn’t going to just calm down and learn on its own, I asked for more help and really opened up to many different ideas. After the first meeting with an instructor I changed everything I could to make sure I kept my grades high. Making a Radical Schedule, learning to Flirt, Drive, Relax was only the start to the changes I made. I noticed within a week or two I had a better schedule to work with and that it also allowed me find times when I was better at studying like in the afternoon rather than the morning. I also noticed I was better able to read and study more calmly and better capable to understand the whole concepts rather than just the definitions.

I was smart to ask for help when I knew I needed it and I will continue to ask for help whenever I need to. However, next semester I will be better prepared for when I run into problems with time management or studying. If I find a situation that I’m missing my favorite television show because I forgot to read a chapter, I will make a new Radical Schedule to fix my time management problems. Also if I find myself having problems with studying I now know how to find new ways to study to help keep my mind focused and refreshed.

1 comment:

  1. take charge with your reading and always ask question. thats how i was.

    Nat Puryear

    ReplyDelete