Monday, December 5, 2011

Joey Maldonado

My career that I would love to do is to be a Graphic Designer. I had been doing such things in this field since my 9th grade year of high school and instantly fell in love with it. Since my field is more hands on, it includes more reading than you think. The text on colors, tones, definitions etc. is confusing at times to understand. At times when I wanted to do a project I couldn’t fully do it because I didn’t understand it because of the reading. As a result of this happening, I took the liberty to totally commit to increasing my comprehension and get a better understanding for my future.

When I really realized I needed to change my education type, was when I found out I was failing a class for the first time since 5th grade. My grade was poor and it was in a class where I was reading everyday about 50 pages a night and I was not used to it. My first result was to get a tutor and make sure I catch up with the readings and quizzes. But I couldn’t let the tutor do everything I would have to communicate with him and tell him exactly what was wrong and why I’m not learning.

So I used the Flirt, Drive and Relax phrases to comprehend the text more in a specific way in a few sentences. This actually was one of the main reasons why I started to get the moral of the readings in the books. At one point, I actually thought about dropping this class and jus keep moving but then I wouldn’t be able to play baseball and I didn’t want to give up something I love because I wasn’t to take the easy way out. So I stood and still hoping to pullout at least a C average.

I’ve learned so much from this course and I’m so glad I took it. This course is full of improvements, but you will have to be willing to focus and have fun while you learn. I learned there are 6 reading secrets to becoming a successful reader. This occurs by Removing Distractions, Setting a Purpose, Adjusting Your Pace, Take Notes, Stopping When You’re Confused and finally Setting Aside Time to Read. All of these steps helped me become a better reader; because I found out I’m a Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic learner. So I do separate things to help me, like for visual I highlight and draw pictures. In my auditory sessions, I listen close to the lectures. As for Kinesthetic, I constantly get up and walk away from my assignments when I’m confused and come back to it later.

These secrets helped me this semester and will continue to help me next semester if the same problem happens again, which I’m praying it doesn’t. I see a real improvement now compared to the day I first started this course. Everything I learned will continue to help me into my future and my plans on becoming a billionaire and one of the most successful Graphic Designers in the world.

7 comments:

  1. I have improved as well since I first started this class. I am a better reader now and I have a better understanding in what I read.

    Nat Puryear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeaa, yu will be a successful graphic designer yoo!! Lolz. Yu can acheive if yu believe. We don't have the samee reading profile but yu got a little auditory so we can relate. Keep havin fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to use flirt, drive and relax phrases, these can help me remember more and clearly. I'm glad you have learned something important as other students in the class.



    Zimou Xu

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first poor grade is a big wake up call. A similar thing happened to me.
    Casey morris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what class your talking about and the secrets really help a lot for it! Reading as much as we did, was, and it tough work. We got through it though! Dont become discouraged and dont give up, Joey! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joey, I can relate with you as a visual and kinesthetic learner because I'm one too. I love drawing and it helps me remember information better. Good luck, I know you'll be a great graphic designer!

    Joselyne Vivar

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your blog and I am hopefully trying to gain the same experience and information you've learned from this class as soon as it is over.

    Adrien Pagan

    ReplyDelete