Saturday, November 7, 2009

To skip, or not to skip: that is the question.

You know how to FLIRT and you know how to direct your metacognition to notice when you understand and when you don’t understand. The question is, “What do you do when you don’t understand a word or phrase?”


A. Depends on the word/phrase
B. Slow down my pace of reading
C. Reread the text where the confusion began
D. Ask questions
E. Do an on-line search for the unknown word/phrase
F. Skip it

I hope your answer was A: Depends on the word or phrase. Not all confusion is created equal. Reading is like untangling a knot. If you work too quickly, you could end up with a tighter knot than the one in which you started. Mature readers work with slow, strategic movements; trying different strategies over and over again until they are able to determine the meaning of the unknown word or phrase. Applying the Local GPS tool only works when you look closely at the difficult section of text, search for the context clues and persist until you gain a deeper and wider understanding. (See Revisit Vocabulary for more information on Local GPS context clues).

When your metacognition draws attention to a section of text that is difficult to understand, don’t increase the speed of your reading and ignore the problem. Slow down your pace and identify the type of confusion or road block. (See Revisit Vocabulary for a list of possible road blocks). From here you need to determine the importance of the confusion. Sometimes it is OK to skip unknown words. For example, maybe you can’t pronounce a character’s name or the name of a scientist who conducted the research. As long as you know the difficult word is a name, you can continue reading.

Sometimes the beginning of a chapter can leave you with a lot of unanswered questions. An author doesn’t reveal everything on the first page because he likes to build suspense to keep you interested and on the edge of your seat. In this situation, you have to trust that the author will reveal the information as you continue to read.

On the other hand, if the word/phrase is in the text features, repeated several times, underlined/bold, in the author’s question or summary paragraph, you need to stop and apply the Local GPS strategy. Ask yourself, “In order to understand this sentence, do I need to know the meaning of this word/phrase?” If you answer, “Yes,” than you have no choice but to search for direct context clues within the text and indirect context clues within your mind.

First, break the confusing sentence into two parts: what you understand and don’t understand. Once you identify the information you don’t understand, reread the clues left by the author and add information from your schema. Double check the meaning you made by asking, “Does this make sense for this specific concept? Does the meaning sound right within the sentence? Does the word I am pronouncing look right?”

Applying the same strategy over and over again doesn’t always work either. Mature readers are able to match the type of confusion with the appropriate strategy needed to repair comprehension. Research suggests information in a nonfiction text cannot be understood without making connections to your schema (See I Already Know for more information on background and prior knowledge).

Let’s be honest, using the Local GPS tool can be annoying. There are times when you have to realize when your attempt at using Local GPS is leading you in the wrong direction. Sometimes you don’t have enough schema to identify the context clues the author left behind. However, the author may not have left enough clues to help your mind make meaning. When you are driving in a new town and get lost, sometimes, you just have to stop and ask someone who lives in the area for help. Mature readers realize they may have to stop reading and seek help from another source or ask the teacher.

Don’t fear! All your thinking with the Local GPS tool is not wasted. You can use this information to show your teacher how much thinking you have done. By showing the teacher the notes you took while reading (talking to the text and Local GPS) she will be able to identify the exact vocabulary term or idea that is still causing confusion. Not only will you be able to get an answer to your question, you will impress your teacher.

As a teacher, I am always weary when a student says, “I don’t get it!” First of all, you aren’t telling me specifically what you “don’t get”. Secondly, I am not sure if you are making excuses so I will give you the answer without doing any of the thinking. I know about the “Lazy Game”: If I pretend I don’t understand the text, the teacher will explain the chapter to me and I won’t have to read. However, now that you know how to think through difficult words and abstract concepts, you don’t have to play the “Lazy Game” and you can impress your teacher at the same time. This is a win-win situation for you, the student, and me, the teacher.

In closing, the answer to the question: to skip, or not to skip, is… it depends on the word or phrase. Remember, everyone has trouble with reading; it’s what you do when you are confused that matters.

29 comments:

  1. After reading the section, I found out that skipping a word/phrase depends on what word/phrase I am analyzing. I do not understand what words/phrases I should skip. With this said, I realize I need to use my schema and LGPS to find out which words are the most confusing to me.

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the text it says that Mature readers work with slow, strategic movements. So i thought will they always read slow like this or will they get faster the more that read. As a result, I will ask mrs.wise or try it for myself and see where it takes me.

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the text it says that using the same reading strategy does not always work. So i thought will you always have to use a different one each time you read. As a result, I will use a different strategy when i read but i dont always need to choose a different one.

    Tyler Adcock- sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the text it says "First, break the confusing sentence into two parts: what you understand and don’t understand."

    I already know if I dont understand re read or look for clues to help my confusion

    I wonder what will happen if i cant break the sentence in 2 parts.

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the text it says "Do an on-line search for the unknown word." I already know that if you dont know a word to look it up in a dictionary. As a result I wonder if looking online helps define it better.

    Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the text it says that reading the same way doesn't all ways work. So i am curious why not. As a result i will just use a different techique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the text it says that reading in the same way does not work everytime you read and pick up a book. I thought to myself...what way is a good way to read? As a result I will find a way that suits me better when I read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was reading the text it said that Mature readers read with slow strategic styles, and I applied that to what a personal trainer once told me, that slowly and graceful motions of the excercise are better than fast and eratic sets, so I can see how beneficial taking your time while reading can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the text it says (“What do you do when you don’t understand a word or phrase?”)

    I already know- that I use drive if I don't understand the word phrase.

    As a result I wonder- Will drive be able to help me solve every unknown word phrase.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skip or No?
    I will remember:
    Local GPS: If you can't figure something out, you know tons of ways to make sure you do find out.
    Text features: Know the meaning of these and it can help out with understanding the whole thing.

    Jen Fink

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smart Skipping.

    I will remember:
    1) Skipping always depends on the words or phrases.
    2) Break the sentences into two, what you do know and what you don't know.

    Abbie Forry
    Section2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skip or not skip?

    I will remember
    1.depends on words/phrases
    2.use LGPS to figure it out

    Het Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the text it says First, break the confusing sentence into two parts: what you understand and don’t understand.I already know if I dont understand the text that i need to go back over the section or look online. As a result i wonder what will happen if i break the sentence down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the text it say that reading the same way doesn't always help. I am curious how you can read different ways for a text. Does that me like slow, or fast, or skip pages? As a result I will try different ways to read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Skip or no Skip
    I will remember:

    Unanswered Questions
    LGPS

    ReplyDelete
  16. When to SKip
    1. Names
    2. Local GPS? not always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. in the text it says that sometimes when you use the same reading style it doesnt help you. im curious as to why it doesnt keep helping you. but if this happens to me i will change my reading style

    katie bricker section 1

    ReplyDelete
  18. When to skip or not to skip
    1. lgps
    2.phrases

    ReplyDelete
  19. Skip or Don't Skip

    I will remember:
    1) Local GPS.

    2) only skip certain words/phrases.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too Skip?
    1) Depending on the phrase.
    2) Does this make sense.

    Jake Carr

    ReplyDelete
  21. deciding to skip

    I will remember:
    1. Use LGPS to find contents of reading
    2. skip when needed
    Anthany Heindel

    ReplyDelete
  22. It says to look up undefined words that you do not understand; therefore it would be a good idea to look the word up either on-line or in a dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I discovered that you can only skip words or phrases if you already know what is going to be said. If the word or phrase is unknown, you should read it all.

    Adam Vetere section 2

    ReplyDelete
  24. deciding to skip

    I will remember:
    1. Use LGPS
    2. skim over what is needed to know or not to know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. to skip or not
    1. names
    2. LGPS

    ryan d

    ReplyDelete
  26. When to skip?

    1. Text Features
    2. Local GPS

    ReplyDelete
  27. 2 words would be skipping and metacognition

    I will remember:
    1)LGPS
    2)context clues

    ReplyDelete
  28. In the text it says to break the sentance into two parts. what you understand and what you do not understand. i know this will be a good exercize for me because i tend to comprehend bits and parts of things. due to this i will be able to write down the things that i do not understand and re read them or just make a connection to it.


    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete
  29. Only skip phrases or skip words when you know what is going to happen or be there. Only read everything if you dont know.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete