Friday, November 6, 2009

Revisit Vocabulary: There is Trouble Ahead

Have you ever driven to an unknown destination? Were you stressed or worried about getting lost? Did you keep looking at your directions, checking the map or slowing down to read street signs?

When you are reading, sometimes you can get lost with words and ideas you don't understand. Just as you kept rechecking the directions while driving, you have to keep checking your metacognition to decide if you are making meaning.

Mature readers slow down their pace of reading and look for context clues to help steer their mind over difficult words and through abstract ideas. Context clues are phrases left by the author to help you locate more information about a vocabulary term or complex ideas. The next time you find yourself dazed or confused, use context clues to clarify the author’s meaning.

Breaking It Down

Psst! Hey! Yeah, you! It’s your brain again. I have a secret tool that will save you a lot of time and stress. Best of all, this tool will prevent you from getting confused while reading. I call these confusing words and ideas, road blocks, because they block the meaning from entering your working memory. Road blocks are those unknown words and phrases that cause you to stop reading and say, “Oh man, what the heck is the author talking about?” Here is a list of road blocks you need to watch out for as you read:

Revisit a vocabulary word when:
• you can’t pronounce the word
• the word is new or unknown
• you are unsure of author’s meaning

Revisit an idea when:
• you are confused.
• you notice you are thinking about other things.
• you can’t create mental images.
• you can’t make a connection.

Skipping over these road blocks isn’t helpful or a mature decision. We are no longer going to let these road blocks stop our thinking! With the help of my built in Local GPS tool we will be able to navigate these road blocks and find a direct, fast, efficient route to the meaning of these unknown words and phrases.

Local GPS is an acronym for the four different types of context clues the author uses to support a reader’s comprehension. To find the local context clues, zoom in to the sentences surrounding the difficult word. Reread the sentence before, and after the word you are trying to understand. The author often uses commas, parentheses, and hyphens to signal definitions, pronunciations, and examples to help the reader build meaning. This is your local context clue because the author’s clues are located right by the word.

The G stands for global. To find the global context clues, zoom out and look at the whole page. Scan the text features (pictures, captions, charts, and maps) to see if they can give you more information. This is called global context clues because you are taking a wide view of the text.

The P stands for prior knowledge. Sometimes the meaning is implied, which means the author doesn’t come right out and say what he means. In this case, you have to look at the text and add meaning to what the author didn’t include. Your schema will help you determine a meaning or clearer picture of the word. Prior knowledge is the third type of context clue because you can use what you already know about this word to build meaning.

The S is the final context clue. Structural analysis is looking at how the word is built. By breaking the word into smaller parts you will be able to decode the meaning. Search for prefixes, suffixes, or root words. Keep in mind working with words is a complex process. Being able to pronounce the word doesn’t mean you know the meaning. Until you know both, the pronunciation and meaning, you haven’t fixed the road block.

Remember, context clues are located within the sentence, on the page, or within your own mind. If you get lost, turn on my Local GPS to help you navigate through the road blocks, gain a deeper understanding of an abstract concept and save time from looking words up on the computer.

Reality Check

You are in the driver’s seat now. Knowing your destination or purpose to read isn’t good enough. You need to know different ways to build meaning by using the context clues on the page to help you figure out unknown words and ideas.

You are now ready to expand your understanding of how your mind builds meaning. The good news is you are independent and free to drive your mind wherever you want it to go. The bad news is your choices may lead you off the road and into a ditch. You must steer yourself over difficult words and through abstract ideas.

Your world is going so fast. Be a rebel and slow down! Once you identify a confusing word or idea, use your Local GPS to guide you to a deeper conversation and understanding of the author’s message. Beware, the more you apply these strategies, the more information you will retain and the smarter you will become. Avoid the temptation to skip over the words/ideas due to time constraints or lack of effort. This slip of poor judgment will only result in a loss of meaning and a missed opportunity to sharpen your mind’s ability to maneuver around difficult sections of text.

Just as you were required to fulfill a certain amount of hours before you got your driver’s license, your mind needs time to acquire problem solving strategies. Whatever you do, do not pull over to the side of the road and give up. Get behind the wheel and follow the Local GPS clues until you reach a clear meaning. Sure you may need to back up and reread or even take a detour from the page you are reading to investigate the glossary or on-line dictionary. Ask yourself, “Does this make sense? Does this sound right? Does this look right?” When you uncover the meaning of these words and ideas, you will experience a wonderful sense of satisfaction. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

30 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the text it said to revisit vocab when you can't make a connection. so i thought; Would i have to be able to make a connection with everything? As a result, i would strive to connect with everything in the text, that's important, and gain a deeper understanding.

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the section, I noticed that I must use my metacognition frequently when reading. I understand that I should use the LGPS method for any confusing vocabulary words. With that said, I realize I need to use my LGPS to save time and stress!

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this section, i realized that i must use my context clues or LGPS to help me understand things as i DRIVE my way through the text. Iunderstand how to use the L G and P but im still a little shakey on the S. With this said, i realize i need to work more with the S so i can understand everything better.

    Tyler Adcock- sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the text it says "Mature readers slow down their pace of reading and look for context clues to help steer their mind over difficult words and through abstract ideas."

    I already know that if I slow down my pace I can pick up smaller details in the text and know the vocabulary better.

    I wonder how much slower I need to slow my reading down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The author describes what LGPS means. I can see how it relates to a real gps and the world. I will remember that it means local,global,prior knowledge and structural analysis.

    Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the text it says to revisit vocab when you can't make a connection. So im thinking i have to make a connection with all most everything. As a result i will try and get a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how the text is saying revist your vocabulary to make a connection. Its not easy to amke a connection with a book or a piece of literature. But if I use my local GPS it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw in the text it says to revisit vocab when you cannot make a coonection. It makes sense rather than what I do. I stop and look up the word and then I continue reading, the only problem is that I sometimes get sidetracked and stop reaading. So instead I will trying finding other connections rather than stop my reading entirely for one word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the text it says (Have you ever driven to an unknown destination?)

    I already know- That I have driven to an unknown destination.

    As a result I wonder- Will I ever drive to an unknown destination again.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the text it says that as we become mature readers we should stop avoiding "road blocks". Instead we should use what we already know with the stratgy Local Global prior knowledge and Structural analysis. Useing this stradgy will help you quickly understand the "road blocks" of the passage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Revisit vocabulary
    I will remember:
    Breaking it down, If you need to look up what something means go for it.
    Local GPS, you know a lot of different ways to find something out.

    Jen Fink

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did the handoiut!

    Abbie Forry
    Section2

    ReplyDelete
  14. Revisit Vocab

    I will remember
    1.using the LGPS to figure it out
    2.make connection

    Het Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always used context clues throughout my reading. I was taught that really young and it's always stuck with me. It says in the text to revist vocabulary and I really need to start working on that. Using LGPS has really helped me through my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Making Meaning
    1. local gps
    2.metacognition

    ReplyDelete
  17. Revisit Vocab
    I will remember:
    LGPS
    Speed

    Pete Floyd

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two words to summarize the author's message are revisit vocabulary. I will remember to break it down and Local, Global, Prior Knowledge, Structural analysis

    ryan d

    ReplyDelete
  19. the texts says to ask yourself, “Does this make sense? Does this sound right? Does this look right?” im curious as to why i dont do this all the time when i read. so now i will slow down and really evaluate the text

    katie bricker section1

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two words that summarize this article are looking back. I will watch my reading speed and revisit something if it needs to be looked at again.

    Jake Carr

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two words: revisit vocabulary
    1. lgps
    2. metacognition

    ReplyDelete
  22. Revisit Vocab.

    I will remember:
    1) use Local GPS.

    2) use different speeds when I read different sections.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Revisit Vocab

    I will remember:
    1. Use LGPS when stuck
    2. Pay attnetion to structure of sentence
    ANTHANY HEINDEL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Revist vocab
    I will remember:
    1. LGPS
    2. Speed
    3. Using your metacognition

    ReplyDelete
  25. Local GPS
    I will remember:
    -revisit unknown words.
    -use local gps to identify unknown words.

    Adam Vetere section 2

    ReplyDelete
  26. I will remember:
    Revisit Vocabulary
    LGPS
    -Local GPS
    -Global GPS
    -Prior Knowledge
    -Structural Knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  27. In the text it says that mature readers slow down their pace of reading and look for context clues to help steer their mind over difficult words and through abstract ideas.I already know that if I slow down my pace I can understnad the text alot eaiser.As a result i wonder how slow i exactly have to read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 2 words would be vocabulary and road blocks

    I will remember:
    1)LGPS
    2)mental images

    ReplyDelete
  29. In the text it says, revisit vocab when you can not make a connection. I would definitely have to follow this rule of thumb because if I dont know a word and just skip it chances are I'll forget about the word later on, and I'll become very uninformed of what the text is trying to say. It's a good thing there are context clues to help hint at a possible definiton or picture.

    ReplyDelete
  30. In the text is says to revisit vocabulary when reading. I know this would be a very good task for me because i always come across words that i do not know. do to this i plan on doing this too makie a connection so that i can re3member what the word means and the text.


    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete