Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Extend Your Learning: Proactive Reading

Have you ever said, "I don’t learn anything from reading because the textbook is boring or too difficult to understand!" If you answered yes, you are a reactive reader. The problem may be your mindset, not your textbook. A reactive reader feels helpless and shifts the responsibility of learning to someone else; i.e. the teacher or author of that terrible textbook. The best way to avoid being a reactive reader is to take control of your learning.


Be proactive and search for better information on-line.

  • Build your background knowledge BEFORE you start to read. While FLIRTing with the text, determine which sections will be easy to read and which sections may be difficult. A proactive reader types the unknown words and concepts into an on-line search engine to search for movies, pictures, and articles that will activate schema and lay a foundation of new information to build upon. Try the following on-line sites:
    i. www.teachertube.com
    ii. www.googleimages.com
    iii. iTunes for podcasts from other teachers

  • Clarify confusing words and ideas AFTER you finish reading. The E in DRIVE helps proactive readers evaluate their comprehension. Sometimes the Local GPS tool isn’t enough to create meaning. Type the confusing word and/or idea into an on-line search engine for more examples and/or a better explanation of the concept.


  • Caution: Not all on-line sources can be trusted. Always look for .edu, .org, and .gov domains before visiting other sites.
Be bold and ask the smartest student in class to help you study.
  • Being smart has more to do with organization, persistence, and dedication than it does with an I.Q. score. Success always leaves clues. If you have a chance to work side by side with a student that is successful, take it! What is the worst thing they could say, “No?” Most successful students will jump at the chance to work with someone else because they know the best way to LEARN something is to TEACH it to someone else.

Be daring and get a tutor.
  • Tutors aren’t just for struggling students! If you have a “B” in a class, why not get an edge over other students by working one on one with an expert. Chances are the tutor has already taken the class and can share many reading secrets to streamline your studying and improve your grade.

  • Tutors can also help you make a reservation to read. If you are tempted to play on the computer in between classes, why not make an appointment with a tutor? Research suggests learning is a social activity and talking through your understanding of a concept is much more fun than studying silently by yourself.

Don’t let your academic struggles get you down! The instant you notice your reactive mindset begin, shift your thinking by asking, “What can I do to make this information more meaningful and memorable?” The more you practice shifting from a reactive mindset to a proactive mindset, the easier it will be to find solutions. Remember, extend your learning and take back control.

30 comments:

  1. Reading this article, I discovered that I am a reactive reader, especially when it comes to reading about subjects that arent generally in my interest. Asking for a tutor doesnt sound like a bad idea, I always thought you would need a tutor if you're not doing well in a class, but with their guidence, why not ehance what you know or can potentially learn? I like the concept of having a tutor to keep you on schedule especially like for those who get easily distracted. There are also several articles online using trusted websites to look up additional information on something you're unsure of. I like to use google images or dictionary.com if I ever need a clarify anything. There's plenty of other things you can use too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tutor would be very helpful for anyone if they're having any trouble in a course. Looking for better info online is also very helpful because a lot of sites are bogus and can give you false information.

    Adam Vetere section 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some online sources are can be used if there is .edu or .org but some can be changed or a scam. Also tutors can be very helpful i seem to learn more when i talk to a person about the topic or what im studying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this artical I realized the finer details for a well devolped study habbits. The internet is a very useful tool, if you go to reliable sites. Tutors are not just for students who are doing bad in class; its for all students who want to excel in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tutors help a lot they usually have had the professor of the coarse that you are struggling in so they know the teachers expectations and can show you what you need to study and know, because they have already went through it and got atleast an A in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading, I have realized more in depth details to study better. The internet is useful if its from a reliable source. Using a tutor isnt just for people who are struggling but for those who have the desire to succeed.

    ryan d

    ReplyDelete
  7. Online source like .edu or .org can be real useful for a project or any research paper you need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After further research i realized that curtain sites that are acceptable and there are alot that aren't. I will start using these sites especially for school because they are exceptable.

    ♥ Latifah Pittman ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try to only use .gov, .org, and .edu for research online. Some other souces may still be valid. Tutors help me fully understand the concepts of what I am learning.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  10. after reading this article i have discovered, that having a tutor would be a good idea. in bi sci i realized that i need extra help learning the information. if i get a tutor for bi sci it wil force me to not study alone, and get another perspective on the information.

    katie bricker
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before reading this article, I knew that when researching, not all online sources can be trusted. After reading, I now know that tutoring is a learning activity that can actually help ANY student!


    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading this article I learned that i need to FLIRT wit the text to understand what im about to read, i need to DRIVE with the text so i can make connections and help my schema. Finally, i learned that i need to RELAX and look up any questions that i asked while i was DRIVING. I can use the internet and help extend my learning.

    Tyler Adcock-sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  13. After reading this article what really stuck in mind was the tutor, I already knew how FLIRTing with the text can help me, but a tutor is a great idea when you are stuck, they are mentors in the subject and here at PSU they can only be tutors if they passed the same class with an A so its also reassuring, I have a math tutor and it has helped me understand math so much better. That was definitely a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. By reading this text I learned that I want to relax while I'm reading so I ask myself good questions about the text. I also learned that a tutor is a great way to learn.
    Abbie Forry
    Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to relax while I am reading, I try to ask questions about what I am reading. This is a great way to learn about what your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reading resposability
    -bold-proactive-dareing
    After reading the text I then looked up how to get a tutor at penn state and now I know that If I need a tutuor how I can get out at PSY.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After reading this I learned that getting a tutor doesn't mean that you are doing bad in a class or anything like that. It just means you are trying to get an advantage and that you are trying your best in that class.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After reading I learned to be a proactive reader by seaching for pictures and movies online to get a better understanding. If you are having trouble or need just some advice to get better grades, go see a tutor. Tutors can only help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After reading this article i realized tha a tutor would be helpful no matter what your grade is!

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  20. After reading I realized that getting into a book is going to help out in the long run. Also, getting a tutor can help greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Before reading the article I really didnt know how to further my understanding while reading. After reading the article I found that there are good websites that will increase understanding what your are reading.

    -Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  22. Online tools can help a student very well with their classes. Especially classes a student does not understand.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  23. After reading I realized searching for pictures gives a better understanding. Also, if you are having trouble or want to improve a tutor would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. After reading I learned how much better a tutor is to use. They can help me with something i dont understand.

    ReplyDelete
  25. From reading this I found out that having a tutor is a good thing. It doesnt matter if your doing bad either, you can get one if your doing fine in that class.

    Jake Carr

    ReplyDelete
  26. 2 words to summarize the author's message
    -proactive reading
    -extending learning

    I will remember
    -build background
    -getting a tutor

    ReplyDelete
  27. AFter reading the text, I realize that some books can be difficult to understand and that i am a reactive reader. I need to flirt with the text and get a tutor if I need help.

    Anthany Heindel

    ReplyDelete
  28. For better research i learned to start looking for more gov. edu. sites for better and more reliable info.

    Nourdean b.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Getting a tutor can really help no matter if you need one or not. After reading I realized that staying focused on a book will help you learn and expand your vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  30. after reading this it made me realize that i should get a tutor just to get that A!




    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete