Friday, November 20, 2009

Linking Existing Knowledge to New Information

Verizon advertises they are, “America’s largest and most reliable 3G network,” with unlimited coverage, fewer dropped calls than other networks, and wireless service worldwide. But what does all this mean and how does hitting the “SEND” button allow you to hear your friend who lives hundreds of miles away? You don’t need to know the mystery behind how a cell phone works, you just trust the process.

The same holds true for reading. You don’t need to know how your eyes remember these squiggly lines on the page. Just trust the FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX process to connect new information to existing knowledge.

Your mind is like the Verizon commercial. It has billions of neurons working together as a network, making sure the message gets through. Just as the Verizon commercial tries to make the invisible network visible, you can make the network of your thinking visible by writing down your thoughts before, during, and after reading.

As you FLIRT with the text, your mind scrolls through your schema, locating the information you already know about the genre, topic, and author. Write down whatever comes to mind. It doesn’t matter if each idea is relevant to the topic. If you knew everything about the topic, you wouldn’t need to read the text. The important part of the FLIRT process is priming your mind or activating those Velcro hooks so new information can be sent along the proper frequencies.

As you begin to DRIVE your mind through the text, make sure to highlight, talk to the text, and draw pictures to keep your mind active and engaged. You don’t want any dropped calls as your neurons try to talk to each other. Talking to the text is just like typing out a text message in your cell phone. Stop often and ask your mind, “Can you hear me now?” If your mind is distracted, it could interfere with the message you are trying to relay.

The RELAX stage is like hitting the “SEND” button on your cell phone. This final step moves you beyond just “soaking up facts” to building and adjusting existing schema. Cognitive researchers call this process synthesizing. Synthesizing is when you take new information and combine it with existing knowledge. In other words, your mind is consistently comparing new information to your previous memories. As a result, RELAX enables your mind to shifting and rearranging the connections in your schema. (See I Already Know for more information on assimilation, accommodation, and elimination.) Summarizing the new information isn’t enough. Take time to allow your working memory to manipulate the new information so that it can be organized and stored in a meaningful way.

When you FLIRT, DRIVE and RELAX, the cells in your mind connect and you become smarter. And SMART is the best wireless service around!

If you want to extend your learning about how a cell phone was invented or why it’s called a “cell phone” and not a “cordless phone”, explore the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone#History

32 comments:

  1. Before reading, I knew that FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX could help me synthesize information. After reading, I now know that the three processes working together work like a cell phone.

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before i read I knew that i need to trust FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX so i can read better and reduce the message better. I now know that using the three together are like a cell phone company and how they work with my mind to help me understand.

    Tyler Adcock-sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I started reading, I knew that FLIRT, DRIVE and RELAX can help me read better and comprehend more. After reading I can see the comparison in how reading is like using a cell phone, we dont question how the cell phone works but we just use it, same goes for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before reading I knew that FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX where very important. So after reading I also know that this will give me stuff to review to keep my mind fresh.
    Abbie Forry
    Section2

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already know that FLIRTing, DRIVEing, and RELAXing are very important when you read. This helps my brain to wonder and explore the text a little more to get a deeper and more effective meaning of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before I start reading I know I have to FLIRT,DRIVE and RELAX because it helps me read better and comprehend more. Once im all done reading I review everything and make sure its fresh in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trust -flirt-drive-relax
    I already know how to flirt drive and relax and that it really dose help. I now and a better reader due them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before reading I knew that FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX were steps used to help me with reading. After reading I realize that using this steps are like using a cell phone. Flirt is the receiveing, Drive is the replying, and Relax is the sending of the text. Its actually a very clever way to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before I start reading it would help me better if I FLIRT. When I DRIVE and RELAX because it helps me while in reading to fully understand the material. Once im done reading I relect on my reading and study whats needed or importand.

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before reading I know FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX are strategies that help you to read. After reading I put all the information together and make notes to help remember and for studying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before reading i knew flirt drive and relax would help me understand my reading. Never realized they all worked together for 1 great system!

    miek forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before reading I knew that flirt, drive and relax would be a better understanding my reading. After reading I understood more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Before reading I already knew that you should t4 and highlight. After reading I realized I really dont stop to understand what I read.

    -Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Before reading I use FLIRT, DRIVE, and, RELAX because it helps my reading. I know now that these three techniques can be related to a verizon cell phone.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  15. before reading i knew that flirt drive and relax would help me link old knowledge with new knowledge. it would also help my reading. after reading i got yet another example of how all three really help

    katie bricker
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  16. Before i read I knew FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX can morph together to create a complete comphrension. Now I see the cell phone analogy that will help from here on out.

    Beatrix Bartha
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Before reading I knew how to flirt drive and relax. After reading I learned some interesting facts about cell phones on that link at the bottom.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Before reading i understood that relax, drive, and flirt can help you understand and relate to the text and after reading i relized that all of this can be related to a verizon cell phone, you learn something new everyday

    ReplyDelete
  19. Before reading I knew that RELAX, DRIVE and FLIRT help me fully understand my reading. I see the cell phone analogy, makes perfect sense.

    Adam Vetere section 2

    ReplyDelete
  20. Before reading i understood that relax, drive, and flirt can help you understand and relate to the text and after reading. I relized that all of this can be related to a phone. This is interesting.

    Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  21. Before i start reading i know that i need to FLIRT, DRIVE and RELAX. After i get done reading i like to go voer everything to keep it fresh in my mind

    ReplyDelete
  22. Before i read I knew that i need to trust FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX. I know now that RELAX is alot like verison thanks to the derection of my metacognition.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Before reading i know FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX helped me read better. I never realized or thought of all working as one and getting the information you need.

    ReplyDelete
  24. before reading i know flirt, drive, and relax is a way to use while reading. now that i know how to use each of those it is so much easier to know what im reading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Before reading, I knew a couple of strategies that are used to help with reading. I now know about the cell phone.

    Jake Carr

    ReplyDelete
  26. Before reading, I knew that FLIRT, DRIVE, and RELAX could help me gather information. Now after reading iunderstand the information better when i break it down into 3 key steps.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 2 words to summarize the author's message
    -linking
    -synthesizing

    I will remember
    -FLIRT, DRIVE, RELAX
    -cell phones

    ReplyDelete
  28. Before reading, I knew that flirt, drive and relax could help me to understand the text. After reading I learned that the way the three operate can be linked to a cell phone.

    Anthany heindel

    ReplyDelete
  29. The threee key steps is something key i learned. Even after knowing about the flirt drive and relax

    ReplyDelete
  30. Before reading, flirt, drive, and relax all came in my favor when before I read, during, and after I read.

    ReplyDelete
  31. activating your schema is very important when reading on a topic. i believe this helps me connect new information to the old and stay conected like the velcro effect.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^





    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete