Monday, November 30, 2009

Answer the Question

BUZZ! BUZZ! You have been waiting for this quiet vibrating sound of your cell phone all morning. Someone has just sent you a text message or left a voice mail. Your heart beats faster in anticipation. The curiosity is killing you! Who could it be? Do you think it’s your sweetheart?

You start to create a plan on how to check your phone because you are sitting in class. If it’s a text message, maybe you could put it under the desk or behind a folder and read it. (FYI – your teacher can always see you texting. If the teacher doesn’t take your cell phone, it’s because she does not want to interrupt her teaching to deal with your distraction.) However, if it’s a voice mail, you’re going to have to do something more drastic… like get up and go to the bathroom.

Just like your strong desire to answer your cell phone, your mind has the same need to answer the questions you asked yourself as you read the chapter. Mature readers know answering questions not only satisfies the mind, it helps transfer the new information into long-term memory.

Asking questions BEFORE reading creates a purpose for reading. When you FLIRT with the text, notice when your inner voice says, “I wonder why…” or “I’m curious about…” Write each question on a 3 x 5 card or by the text feature that created the question. These types of questions keep you interested in the reading while your mind searches for the answer to each question. (See Reveal a Purpose for more information on asking questions before you read.)

Asking questions DURING reading helps your mind clarify the author’s message. When you DRIVE with the text, notice when your inner voice says, “What does that sentence mean?” or “How should I pronounce that word?” Highlight the area that caused the confusion and then use your Local GPS tool to ask questions until you find the meaning. Local GPS questions include:

Local: Can I discover a deeper meaning if I reread this section?
Global: What do I see on the page that will support my comprehension?
Prior Knowledge: What do I already know about the topic?
Structural Analysis: If I break the word into roots and affixes can I build meaning?

Searching for answers to these questions keeps your mind focused on creating meaning instead of skipping over difficult ideas. (See Revisit Vocabulary for more information on asking questions while you read.)

Asking questions AFTER reading helps to monitor your comprehension. When you RELAX with the text, ask questions like, “What was the most important idea?” or “What did I just learn from reading that section of text?” Notice how quickly you can recall the new information. If the answer pops into your mind easily, then your mind encoded the new information successfully. Difficulty forming an answer, or having no answer at all, means you must reread with more engagement; highlighting, talking to the text, and drawing pictures.

BREAKING IT DOWN

If only you were as urgent at answering the author’s questions at the end of a chapter as you are at answering your phone after class. Author’s questions have a purpose and it’s not to prolong your homework. Answering the questions is the final support by the author to make sure you identified all the important information and stored it properly in your mind.

Answering a question is like following a dress code. Dress codes are used in schools, fancy restaurants, and private country clubs to make sure everyone meets appearance expectations. I once went to a five start restaurant dressed nicely in shorts. When I arrived, the hostess advised me their dress code by pointing to a posted sign that said, “NO SHORTS ALLOWED!” I could go home and change or borrow pants they had for people who came in shorts.

“Come on,” I pleaded, “There are girls here wearing skirts SHORTER than my shorts!” Well, I lived too far away to go home to change and I didn’t want to miss the dinner so I asked for the pants. The pants were SWEAT PANTS! BLACK SWEAT PANTS! I was mortified, but I had no choice.

Mature readers know they have no choice but to follow the dress code. The key to getting a gorgeous grade is to take time to discover the hidden dress code behind every question. When it comes to answering a question, remember to follow these three easy style suggestions:

First, analyze the question by highlighting key words in the question stem and targeting the text structure. Use your knowledge of text structure to help guide your selection of text evidence and identifying key points. Once you have established HOW to build your answer, your mind will know WHAT to recall from your long-term memory.

Second, select the graphic organizer that matches the text structure. Resist the temptation to begin writing without taking time to plan your ideas. The process of jotting down a few key words not only eliminates confusion over what to include in your answer, it also helps you organize your thoughts into a strong, cohesive essay.

Third, choose a few transition words and place them on the graphic organizer. Mature readers refuse to give in to the distractive voice that screams, “Enough already! Any answer will do! Let’s slap something down and get out of here.” Strengthen your answer by connecting each thought with these small, but powerful words.

Identifying the hidden dress code before answering the question prevents you from getting a failing grade! Determine the text structure. Match what you already know to the correct graphic organizer. Then dress up your essay with transition words. Remember, every question has a different dress code. When your answer reflects the question style, your final grade will make you smile!

25 comments:

  1. Before reading, I already knew that you have to think to answer questions. After reading, I now know that answering certain questions is like obeying a certain dress code.

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. before reading the section i always tried to ask questions. it gives me more motivation to read the section so my questions were answered. after reading, i learned that transistion words dress up my written answers

    katie bricker
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read I always try asking myself questions about the text. I always knew that it was important and I also know that it helps you remember the text better because you are understanding it.
    Abbie Forry
    Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before reading I allways look at everthing first in the text. It helps me know what im reading about. I learned that transistion words gives me the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before reading this section I would try and FLIRT and DRIVE with the help of highlighting and index cards. I know now I need to continue these steps with the help of a graphic organizer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before reading I already knew that you have to ask questions and have a purpose. After reading I never really knew you should ask questions after reading.

    -Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before reading I already know that you have look for the purpose in the text. After reading I ask questions on what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before reading I already knew to ask questions. After reading, I learned that answering the questions is like following a dress code.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before reading I already know to ask questions. These questions help me to stay focus while reading. After reading I make sure to have these questions answered. This helps follow the authors thoughts and message.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When reading i use flirt and drive with to help me get through the reading. When i highlight or use note cards its easy to look back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breaking it Down. -Before -during -after this is FLIRT RELAX and DRIVE. this really helps remebering what you have read. and even how to study.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before reading I have now tried to flirt and drive so it will help me undter satnd the text better. Now i try to use a graphic organzier so i ti will make my reading even easier!

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Before reading, I try to see if there are questions that would help me understand the text more. After reading I try to answer these questions or fill out diagrams to keep the stuff in my mind.

    Jake Carr

    ReplyDelete
  14. Before reading I knew that you should look at the text features. After reading I know that I should ask questions.

    Adam Vetere section 2

    ReplyDelete
  15. Before reading i knew that askign questions about the text while help you establish a purpose for reading. After reading i learned it helps to identify the dress code.

    Tyler Adcock- sec.1

    ReplyDelete
  16. 2 words to describe the author's message
    -break down
    -transition words

    I will remember
    -highlighting key words
    -revisiting vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Before reading I realize i need to look at text features. After reading I know that a graphic organizer and highlighting notes can help me be a better reader.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Transition words and key words

    I learned that you can use these words to figure out most of the text. You just gotta know how to find them

    Nourdean b.

    ReplyDelete
  19. before reading this article I read everything to find an answer. Now I am able to locate transition words to find the answer.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  20. before reading i know that asking questions help you to better get the message.now i ask alot of questions before reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Before reading I already knew you should read questions before you answer them. Now I need to be able to ask questions while I read.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  22. 2 words:
    -key words
    -breakdown


    I will remember that figuring out what the proper hidden dress code is will help me get good grades and not leave me in trouble or with bad options.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know to ask questions before, during, and after to help understand what I am reading. Doing so will allow me to answer any questions on the information.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I learned that you can use transition words to find out what the section is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  25. before redaing this passage i would ask myself questions about the text but i never asked questions afterwards. after reading this i plan on asking questions to further research the topic.




    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete