Sunday, September 20, 2009

TEXT STRUCTURE AND TEXT ORGANIZATION

You’ve just finished watching Rachel Ray cook a ten minute meal. You have the recipe, and you have the ingredients, but do you have the proper tools? Just as a chef needs tools to manipulate the ingredients, readers need a graphic organizer to purposefully select information from long-term memory and mix it with new information from the text. Your ability to manage this manipulation of old and new information has a huge impact on how your mind processes and stores ideas.

Not all texts are created equal. The more structured the text, the easier it is for the mind to determine important text information and make connections with your schema. Research suggests, your mind is only capable of retaining information relevant to existing experiences (see I ALREADY KNOW). Look at these letters for ten seconds, then close your eyes to see how many letters you can remember IN THE SAME ORDER THEY APPEAR.

BL OGE M AI LWI KI

How many letters could you remember? Now repeat the process by looking at the letters below, closing your eyes and recall the letters IN THE SAME ORDER THEY APPEAR.


BLOG EMAIL WIKI

Which group was more meaningful and memorable? Both groups have the same thirteen letters listed in the same order; however, the second one makes more sense because I organized the letters into meaningful chunks. Your brain already has information about each one of these groups, but until I pointed out how they were organized, your brain struggled to make meaning.

As the experiment above proved, if you don’t take time to organize new information into meaningful chunks, your mind will get lost in the sea of sensory input streaming into the thalamus. As a result, you will have difficulty storing new information.

Helping your mind organize information will speed up your reading and improve your memory. Take time to FLIRT with the text to identify the external text structure and internal organization. The text structure helps you focus on essential information and the graphic organizer helps you purposefully connect isolated facts in a meaningful way.

A graphic organizer provides a container to visually show the relationship of ideas. The type of graphic organizer you use will depend on the author’s purpose, or how the author expects you to construct meaning. The goal is to identify the relationship between concepts and then find the most effective way to organize new information. The six most common text organizations are: enumeration, description, compare/contrast, sequence, cause/effect and problem/solution. To see sample graphic organizers, visit: http://freeology.com/graphicorgs/

Enumeration, description, and compare/contrast are used when a concept is discussed through describing characteristics. With these texts, the way concepts are broken down into smaller subgroups is more important than the order it is presented.


When a concept is discussed through a process or time (dates), sequence, cause/effect, and problem/solution are the most effective graphic organizers. With these texts, the order the information is presented is most important.

FLIRTing organizes the mind’s schema by matching the right graphic organizer to the text structure of the passage. Taking notes on a graphic organizer allows the working memory to make strong connections between prior knowledge and new information in the text. This will improve your comprehension by allowing the mind to store new information in an organized, concise manner. Therefore, if you want to remember what you read, you must take time to establish a system for organizing and storing information before you read.

Streamline your thinking and deepen your understanding of the concept by choosing a graphic organizer that matches the demands of the text. Remember, using a graphic organizer will prevent your mind from getting burnt out.

33 comments:

  1. Yes both of those i could remember what they were but the second one was a little easier because i forgot the spacings for the first one but i got the concept to break down and see what its trying to say and apply that to reading to become a better reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we did that example in class i didn't realize what it was saying. I know they try and trick you so I was seeing a way to figure it out but I didn't it wrong. Once I looked back at it, I felt stupid! When I do stuff like that it lets me know that I have to slow down and take time to understand what i'm reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the FLIRT technique and think it helps a lot with reading. I'm also starting to be able to rember the techniques a lot better.


    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flirt techniques help me out every time i sit down to read something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flirt technique is a great way to improve reading skills. I have been understanding it better now and it is clear that it will be effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we did that exercise in class i caught on right away just because this experiment is old. But when i first did it i couldnt remember for the life of me all the letters. I think i need to really look at the text and how it is organized before i read the whole chapter.

    Katie Bricker
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am realizing that I am flirting better with my books and I am remembering mostly everything I am reading now. I is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok i am starting to realize how time and discribe how different areas on where we can depict each text or reading. I am slowly but surely getting them down pat but i need to exercise them in my reading more so it becomes a habbite towards my better reading.

    Tyler Adcock-sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand how knowing what the text organization is could help with the reading process. However, I find it a tricky tactic to do while reading. I would have to just try it out a few times and get a hang of it.

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  10. This a very hard thing to grasp esecially when your not used to doing it. Text organization is a great way to help you with reading and your process to read but yet it can be difficult,

    Shane Moore Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do think that sometimes these work. For me they havent always worked but with some I can see the relation. I wont be easy to start though being it takes your mind off the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already know that this works, because I've tried this before. And I think that it is becoming more and more easier for me to understand text that I have to read for classes.

    Sam Swank, Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  13. I already know that I indeed read in little, reasonable chunks. This helps me read my facts a bit easier and thus helps me retain more information. Thus, I have used graphic organizers in the past, but I haven't done them recently as I take bulleted notes on a separate sheet of paper instead. I guess maybe I should try this in the future.

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  14. the example in class really helped me i wish all of my classes where like how you teach because i get a better understanding of everything that you say. I would like to say thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. WE did this examples in calss and I was stunned. The first on so so much harder to remeber than the second one.

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  16. The FLIRT technique is good to use when you start reading. I didn't like it first of all, but if you keep doing it gets pretty easy.

    Het Gandhi sec 1

    ReplyDelete
  17. For once i got this right away. As soon as i looked at it i could tell what the spacings were and memorized the words. It was really simple and i got it both times. I guess spacing things out and taking it slow could really help.

    cortney Denlinger
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked this exercise of memorizing the words. I found it very easy to memorize 15 letters because of the visual words i began to notice. It means I'm a visual learner. Although there may be some things people just miss and thats okay as long as you go back to check on what you missed, you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am now beginning to remember almost everything i need to read because of the flirt techniques. even though flirting is a huge pain to me still, it really is helping me out.


    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete
  20. When we first did the experiment to remember the letters, I noticed quickly that it was all spaced out. I need to fix my reading habits so I can have a better understanding of what exactly I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In the future, I will use some sort of graphic organizer. I usually have trouble putting all of the text together into something meaningful, so an organizer should help with that.

    ADAM VETERE section 2

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good refernece to cooking. I need to use these tools more often and get organized when I read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ima start start using these tools more often and see how this all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like that little trick with the blog email wiki. I got it when I read the first line but I never thought about text organization like that.

    -Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  25. I already use most of the tools said to use. I know whenever studying or whether it be something at home. Graphic organizers are always used in my psych class. It helps me retrieve the information during test time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. FLIRT is much more usuful than I thought it was when I first started the class. It really helps me connect with the text and understand it.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am organized when I read and sometimes I wish it helpped more than it does, because even though I am organized I still have problems remembering. But, I do like reading in chunks.
    Abbie Forry
    Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  28. Using a grahic organizer as a way of taking notes really helps. It helps find the authors purpose and in a way find key ideas and information.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Im learning the same thing in Psychology with using graphic organizers and learning for ways for your brain to obtain information better. It makes sence with the 13 letter example of how your brain comprehends information

    ReplyDelete
  30. Im prob going to have to start using the graphic organizer. Ive seen others who have used it and it seems like it works for them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree with what katie and cortney said...I caught on really quick with this and spacing things out does help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Using the graphic organizer does help alot i try and use it alot in some of my classes i have.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Once you get organized you do well and when you use your graphic organizer things seem to get done. Spaceing out your time works for me but sometimes you dont know what to do when you dont have time

    ReplyDelete