Wednesday, September 2, 2009

LOOK AT TEXT FEATURES: CHECK OUT THOSE PHYSICAL FEATURES

Are you intimidated to walk up and talk to your love interest? It’s easier to begin a conversation if you know what to talk about. You can tell a lot about a person by her outside appearance and then use this information to help begin a conversation. Chances are the physical features of this person; their hair, face, clothes, and body language, can give clues to predict their interests, feelings, and behaviors.

For example, you could use her hairstyle to guess how much time she spent getting ready for the day. His outfit might leave clues as to which activities he enjoys. Even a person’s facial expressions can help you guess her mood. A person with a smile might be happy, confident, and friendly compared with a person who is looking down might be shy, quiet, or angry.

It can be just as intimidating to begin reading an academic text. However, if you take time to check out the physical features of the text before you read, you will find clues the author left to tell you what you will learn. Mature readers know to look at the text features before they read so they know what’s important.

BREAKING IT DOWN
Text features are an author’s way of advertising what is important and interesting about the text. The author uses these physical features to alert you to new vocabulary words and provide visuals to help your mind stay focused. Text features support your note taking and serve as a guide when preparing summaries. Visuals such as charts, graphs, and maps can add meaning the author did not include.

Think for a minute about four people you know. Chances are these four people look and act very different. Your mind is able to identify each person through their different features. When it comes to text features, each one is a little different in the way it looks and functions. As a result, your mind stays interested in the topic and continues to pay attention to novel (or new) information.

Authors use titles, headings, and subheading to help your mind activate everything you already know about the topic and prepare these parts of your brain to add more information. Your mind is then able to store information in an organized pattern that makes the most sense.

Some text features highlight additional information by changing the font. Introduction paragraphs, special fonts, captions, and summary paragraphs are used by the author to keep your mind alert and focused. Your mind gets bored with words that are the same size, shape, and color so the author changes the font as a way of saying, “Hey! Look at me! I’m special! I’m important!” And believe me, you are going to be glad you paid attention. (On the computer, special fonts may take you to another site. Be careful not to get too far away from your original purpose.)

Charts, diagrams, graphs, and maps allow the author to give more information about the topic in a small space. You’ve heard the phrase, “A picture is worth a thousand words,” and this is exactly why authors choose to use them. Sometimes it is easier to explain a concept through a visual instead of with words. Make sure to FLIRT with charts, diagrams, graphs, and maps BEFORE and AFTER you read. This will help your mind condense and connect a lot of new information into a small, yet organized pattern.

Pictures, illustrations, and chapter questions support the text by providing a specific visual to help make meaning from the written words on the page. Remembering the parts of a cell is much easier when you have a picture of a cell with each part labeled.

You already know when reading nonfiction, you can scan quickly to locate the information you want to read. Authors use table of contents, indexes, and page numbers to help you locate information quickly. (If you are reading on the computer, you will want to find the site menu.) Here is a helpful hint: When studying for a test, don’t reread the whole chapter. Use the index to locate the key concepts and review only those pages.

TIME CHECK – Does your mind need a break? Stand up, walk around, get a drink and then come right back. You have two minutes.

CUT IT OUT: Reading the text features are more important than reading the paragraphs.

Do you ever start out strong with the intention of reading the whole chapter and then give up half way through either because you are too tired, too confused, or run out of time? It’s easy to get lost in the sea of academic words and abstract concepts, however, text features allow you to cut out this behavior and establish a direction for your reading.

Mature readers know text features are a set of instructions on how to find and locate specific information related to the author’s questions. When you look at text features, you are learning what the author thinks is important. As a result, you won’t waste your time trying to decide what to highlight. It’s easier to read if you know what you need to remember.

Text features are a reference point from which you can determine what ideas are important and relevant to an assignment. The more time you spend looking at the text features, the more your mind will remember.

The bad news is you must take the time to FLIRT with the text features before you read if you want to have control over your thinking. What does this mean? It means you cannot wait until the last minute to read. Reading demands time!
· Time for planning what and how you will read the text.
· Time for thinking about what you already know about the topic.
· Time for rereading difficult sections.
· Time for taking breaks when your mind is full of too much information or your eyes start to get sleepy.
· Time for drawing pictures and taking notes.

If you know you don’t set aside enough time to read, click on the post entitled: Procrastination is NOT an Option to learn more about how to change this habit.

TIME CHECK – Does your mind need a break? Stand up, walk around, get a drink and then come right back. You have two minutes.

REALITY CHECK:

Do you highlight every other word because it all seems important? When you take notes, do you rewrite everything from the text until your arm hurts? FLIRTing with the different text features before you read can help you discover the external structure of the text and identify the main ideas while you read.

Go ahead, check out those text features to identify the topic and main ideas located in the headings or highlighted with special fonts. Now, read the actual paragraph and watch for repeated words or ideas that relate to the heading. Highlight those ideas and paraphrase the concept on a post-it note. Finally, if you get confused, look on the page to get more information from the text features. There may be a picture to help you visualize the event or a diagram that helps you make sense of abstract concepts.

The next time you pick up a text, take into consideration the external clues the author left so your mind can begin to make meaning. When you FLIRT before you read, your mind stays interests in the text, creates connections between major ideas and remembers more than you ever thought possible.

36 comments:

  1. After reading this article about the text features it actuly make reading a lot more easier. I also can't believe that the author uses the text features to try and give the reader clues on what is important in the article.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following these steps will allow the brain to to focus on the reading and to get in tune with the reading without having to worry about distractions. Its agood technique to use when reading a text or anything in that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This an excellent way to read and to allow your brain to focus on the reading of the text. This is also good to use while just reading in general, not just for studying a certain text.

    Shane Moore- Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I am one who does read for little chunks at a time, compared to all at once. I am definitely not a procrastinator. However, I do write so much sometimes that I get a writer's cramp so I guess it is beneficial just look for the key terms, which can be quite easy to find in a textbook.

    Andrew Thompson- Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article gives good advice on how to keep your brain focused on the material. I believe this is advice I'd really like to use and put into my reading. But I'm used to reading everything and not really taking it in. So it will take some time to get used to.

    Katie Bricker, section 1

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article gave me alot of good advice.Ima try this method out in my next class and see how this works out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading this article one thing hit home hard, I procrastinate. That's where I think my problems stems with reading, I put it off for too long and times becomes an issue to the point where I'm zipping through pages. I see by giving myself more time that I can probably get better understandings from the articles and books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using these tactics might help me be able to understand my reading better and to catch the important details of the reading.

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, sometimes i don't understand what the reader is getting at. Maybe I don't read it the right way.

    Anthany

    ReplyDelete
  10. And to think i thought i was reading just fine. But now that i know how to read the text features i can adjust my reading habbits and make myself a better reader. I think i also helps when there are things that stand out like bold letters and different colors. Even when there are pictures to help understand what you are reading.

    Tyler Adcock-sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  11. All this seems well and good but theres one problem. I dont like reading longer then I have to. So taking my time flirting is extremly hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at text features makes reading a lot easier to comprehend. It makes your brain concentrate on the key points.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bold words and special text features always catch my eye and lets me know what I'm going to be reading about. When I highlight I usually don't highlight everything I just highlight the things that I think is very important.

    -Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  14. When i am reading something sometimes i dont make a connection like the author wants you to make. i am going to try and look differently when i read next.

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  15. One thing i know is i am also a procrastinater. But one thing I've always used to read is the SQ3R method. Which is Survey, question, read, recite, review. Which i've always found to work very good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh dear, I'm another procrastinater, which is so bad, I try not to be. when reading my mind does get bored with words that are the same size, shape, and color after awhile. I like the SQ3R stradgy mentioned above. Everyone learns differently so there's more than one way to enjoy reading or learning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe that this is an excellent way of doings that when it comes to reading and it made it alot better for me as well. I actually enjoy it alot more thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. This article gave me a lot of good ideas that I will try to use in all my classes. Every since looking at reading in a this different perspective I have enjoyed it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This artical really helped me. I think that these will help me stay focused on reading things that I dont' really like reading.

    Sam Swank Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since I never understand what I'm reading when it comes to school text and stuff it's very important for me to discover tactics that would make the whole experience a little easier. Personally these tactics aren't something that I've heard of before, But I tried them and they do work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. after reading this article i realized that i am going to be much better off breaking down the text to better understand it. i am such a procrastinator when it comes to reading, so i am going to write this down and use it as a book mark.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never usually understand what I am reading when it comes to text books for school, but after reading this article I will have to try and remember to break down the text before hand. See if this will help me understand it better.

    matt

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was never good at reading textbooks and I never understood most of it. Now that I know what to look for and to "flirt" with the text beforehand, it should be much easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  24. sorry, ADAM VETERE section 2

    ReplyDelete
  25. I try to use these types Text features but i have so manybad habits reading i seem to forget to use them. Reading text features seems to work when i try to use it but when i forget to use it I dont read so well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ryan Klunk The best Section #1

    ReplyDelete
  27. Special text features and bold words gets my attention and so what the author is trying to say. I also highlight important information that I can refer back to.

    Het Gandhi section 1

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have taken the advice that is given about text features and have them. I fell as if when i read the text features first it is eaiser to understand what im reading about.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Text features such as bold or italized print makes words stand out. they display key pts.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  30. Its hard to believe that the technique of flirting with the text actually works. Once you know how to flirt and know what to look for, reading and understanding the text is a piece of cake. It makes reading a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If i can apply talking to girls and flirting to reading and studying, that would make it so much easier to comprehend the text.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete
  32. Doing these steps will help your reading. And being able to flirt will add more to the whole process, it will make everything easier!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like the way this starts off. by comparing it to everyday things. I dont have a problem going up to the person that I like as long as I know what Im going to say when Im talk to him. and I guess its the same way with reading. if I dont know what I want to read about or if I think that I might not like it, then I tend to stay away from the book...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I get bored when the author has every word the same way, I feel like I'm reading the same things over and over. Then my mind wanders and then I have no idea what I just read. I think it'll be easier to keep my mind focused if the text could change up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Reading the text features help me out alot. Just reading that first gives me an idea on what the chapter or section is going ot be about. It prepares me.

    cortney Denlinger section 1

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a good way to stay focused while reading. You can concentrate more on what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete