Sunday, September 13, 2009

REVEAL THE PURPOSE: GET INTERESTED

How do you read on-line texts? Do you start at the beginning and read every word? Do you read as fast as you can for 15 minutes and then give up when your brain is tired? Of course not! You skim through the web pages and say, “I wonder what this article is about? I’m curious about that picture.” Mature readers know the mind is naturally curious. When you FLIRT with the text, ask questions to create interest and set a purpose to read.

1. While you FLIRT, write your questions onto one side of a 3 x 5 card. Make sure to have one question per 3 x 5 card. Not only are 3 x 5 cards easier and lighter to carry around, they make studying very kinesthetic.
• Rewrite any author questions.
• Use pictures to write I wonder questions.
• Turn headings into questions.
• Use bold words to write I’m curious about questions.

2. Read the section with the purpose of answering your question.
• Highlight key words and ideas that help answer the question.
• Talk to the text by writing other thoughts in the margin.


3. Once you finish reading the section, write a summary that answers your question on the other side of the 3 x 5 card.
• Draw pictures or make motions to help your mind make connection to the information.
• When writing the summary, close the book so you are only using your working memory.
• Check with a tutor, peer or professor for any questions you couldn’t answer.

Your mind is not an encyclopedia filled with isolated facts in alphabetical order, it’s more like Google, waiting for you to type in your topic and hit SEARCH. As soon as you ask a question, your mind quickly searches for relevant connections.

The next time you pick up your textbook, log-on to your mind computer and enjoy all the free applications that allow you to play while you read. Visualizing allows you to transfer the printed text into moving pictures. Activate your Schema to create personal conversations with the author. Sneak a peek behind the scenes when you Infer the author’s message. The Clarifying application offers 24 hour customer service to explain confusing words and ideas. You could even get a chance to identify the most important information by using your Summarizing application.
When you set a purpose to read, you are the one controlling what and how you read. Become part of the most innovative and interactive community in the world; read.
REALITY CHECK
Open up your textbook and start FLIRTing with the text features. Notice your mental thoughts as you scan the pictures, headings, and bold words. Jot down what you already know about the information advertised by the author. Write down any questions that pop into your mind. Ask yourself, “Am I reading to learn or to be entertained?” “What do I hope to learn from this text?” “What will this text be about?"
Use this information to determine how fast or how slow you can read the text. If you know a lot, you may just have to skim the text. If you don’t know a lot, you will have to stop often and read slower to make sure your mind has time to make meaning of the new information. Pay attention to your inner voice. The instant it starts thinking of something else, stop and refocus. Take a break every 15 to 20 minutes. Skip what you know, read what you want to learn, and focus on reading for meaning.

37 comments:

  1. 3 x 5 cards due come in handy not just for reading, but for all of my classes in college. Its true that it makes studying easier and as far as the reading aspect to it, I find it easier to read when I write the question down on my 3 x 5 note card.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because Im a kinesthetic learner notecards help me out a lot. Not only can i be moving around when studying but i always have to pretty much rewrite notes onto them. So i learn them in class, rewrite, then study them. This is probably the best way i learned to study

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was by katie bricker by the way

    ReplyDelete
  4. The index cards are a great source for reading for all classes in college. It makes studying easier while you read. Jotting down key points on the index cards help me to grasp the information from the text.

    Shane Moore

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that notecards do make studying a lot easier for me. It helps me understand the main facts of a story and what should be understood in the event of a quiz. This will probably really help me out when it comes to tests and quizzes because then my brain is focused on what is nedded to be focused on.

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the 3 X 5 cards really seem to work. It's a much easier way to study and remember everything. I'm actually excited to try and study this was because it seems so much simpler and seems to work better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh forgot that last one was me Sam Swank Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think im going to start and use note cards and just wirte things down

    ReplyDelete
  9. them 3x5 cards are usefull it helped me in class today

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally believe that revealing a purpose helps me while I'm reading. It helps because It's eliminates wasting time reading or studying material that you don't really need to know.

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  11. The 3x5 cards are amazing! I tried it for the first time for my PSYCH class I wish I would have known about this way earlier. I think I would have did way better on tests at a younger age.
    Abbie Foryy
    Section2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Note cards are very convenient for studying and I will definitely use them in the future. Not a fan of highlighting in the book yet, but maybe someday.

    ADAM VETERE section 2

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitly use the note cards for more than this class. it helps me study and i even jot down imprtant information. I stay focuse and writing it after i read it helps me remeber it.

    cortney Denlinger section 1

    ReplyDelete
  14. That 3x5 card trick really works well for my reading habbits. I write down questions i have before i read and after iread. If i cant find the awnser in the text then i wll go else where for my awnser or i can ask my prof.

    Tyler Adcock-sec.1

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a visual learner so using colored markers and post its or 3 x 5 index cards helps me repetively keep an idea or image in my mind. I was surprised at the information that can be observed with these tools.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the index cards it improved my study habits ten fold i am able to understand everything and get in tune with the text by knowing what to look for, this makes reading ten times easier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i really dread doing those note cards. in class yesterady they really did help me though. so i am going to try using them next time i am asked to read a chapter in a text.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 3X5 cards are a perfect tool for anything. But as i learned from class the other day and reading this article they can be a perfect tool for reading to help you remeber the text you just read.

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  19. that 3x5 card stuff really helps. I really liked that when we were doing that in class on monday!

    Lacey Walker Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked everything that you taught in the class room with the 3x5 cards and the highlighters and posted notes that helps me out alot better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree 3x5 cards does make studying a lot easier then just trying to memorize it.

    Het Gandhi sec 1

    ReplyDelete
  22. writing note cards may be a good method for some. I am, however, a visual learner, which means i like to turn potential notes into drawings and charts/graphs.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do agree that notecards are a good studying tool. It is something I rarely use though. Using them more I would prolly study better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Using 3 x 5 cards really does help. The cards help remember the main points and ideas. Then if you do not remember something, the cards will remind you of the important information without rereading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. When i use 3x5 it usually seems to help. i use to use them alot when i studied in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I guess these cards can really help out. Not just to remember things, but to study better and be better prepared and focused.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a kinesthetic learner so I tried this and it does really help. The notecards drill the information into your brain.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  28. I need to use 3x5 cards more apparently. Write down my thoughts more often.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how you compared our mind to google. The more I thought about it the more that made sense.

    -Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really don't want to do the flash cards because I think it's going to take to long. But I have a feeling I can do better if i try them so i guess i'm going to have to at least once so I can say I tried it and don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always use 3X5 cards when i study. I always find it easier to write down questions then relate something i already know to it. It helps me remember what i'm trying to learn alot faster.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am not to fond of writing notecards, I think it takes too long and you dont get memorize. But I guess i could try it and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I dont like flashcards i just never liked it. I read the book and notes but i still have problems remembering info. I just need to find a good way to study and learn better techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just never wanted to take the time to use them but now that I used them today in class, they seem very helpful. I am going to have to remember to use them in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I always hated doing flash cards. I felt like they took way too long to do. But I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Im a fan of the index card idea. Ever since Psyc I found it useful to memerize and aqquire information.

    ReplyDelete