Thursday, September 10, 2009

RESERVATIONS TO READ

It’s Saturday night, around 6:00 p.m., and you’re taking your “special someone” out to her favorite restaurant for an intimate date. When you arrive, the place is packed with people. You go to the hostess station and she says, “Hi, do you have a reservation?” You don’t have a reservation and now you are starting to sweat because you know you are not going to get a table.

Reading is like going to your favorite restaurant on a Saturday night. If you don’t make reservations, the reading won’t get done. To improve your reading, set a time to read, daily.

READING RESERVATION FORMULA

1. # of sections ___x 5 minutes = __ minutes to read the chapter.
2. # of sections __ ÷ 4 =__ how many breaks you will need to take x 5 minutes for each break = __ minutes you will need for brain breaks.
3. Minutes to read ___ + ___Break time = ___Total reading time

Find the chapter you need to read for this week and then use the following formula to calculate how much time you will need to reserve to read.

1. A nonfiction chapter is complied of many major ideas. In order to support the reader, an author uses titles and headings to advertise the main idea of a small section of text. If you read correctly, you will need about five minutes to read each section. This means one minute to FLIRT (This is a ___ about___. I already know______ and I am curious about____. The author wants me to ____.) three minutes to read the words and then one minute to summarize the main idea. (See HIGHLIGHTING, DRAWING, AND NOTES, OH MY!) Now, flip through your chapter and count how many sections you will have to read and then fill in the first part of the formula. (Remember, a section is a title or heading followed by a small chunk of text)


# of sections ___ x 5 minutes = ___ minutes to read the chapter.
Example: # of sections 12 x 5 minutes = 60 minutes to read the chapter.

2. Surprised? You’re not done yet! Research suggests the brain needs time to process the new information. Stopping every twenty minutes, or every four sections for a brain break is ideal. Let’s say you will need about a five minute break. During this break, you can: check your cell phone, return the IMPORTANT calls, respond to social networks on line, walk around, and get a snack. Time to fill out the section part of the formula:

# of sections ___ ÷ 4 =__ how many breaks you will need to take x 5 minutes for each break = ___ minutes you will need for brain breaks.

Example: # of sections 12 ÷ 4 = 3 how many breaks you will need to take x 5 minutes for each break = 15 minutes you will need for brain breaks.

4. To determine the total time you will need to read this chapter: take the minutes you will need to read the chapter and add it to the amount of time you will need for breaks.

Minutes to read __ + __ Break time = __ Total reading time
Example: Minutes to read 60 + 15 Break time = 75 minutes of total reading time.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Reading Reservation Formula is a guide to support your decision making about reserving the proper amount of time you will need to read. Keep in mind the time needed to read will change depending on your level of prior knowledge, difficulty of the text, and your interest in the topic. If the text is hard to read or you do not have a lot of prior knowledge about the topic, your pace of reading will be slower. In this case, change the time for reading each section from five minutes to seven minutes. If you are not interested in the subject you are reading, count in more time for breaks

Copy and paste the Reading Reservation Formula in your post. Then complete the formula. Does this match the time you have reserved for reading or will you have to make adjustments to your daily schedule? Remember, making a reservation to read will guarantee an intimate date with the author.

1. # of sections __ x 5 minutes = __ minutes to read the chapter.
2. # of sections __ ÷ 4 =__ how many breaks you will need to take X 5 minutes for each break = ___minutes you will need for brain breaks.
3. Minutes to read ___ + __ Break time = __ Total reading time

37 comments:

  1. Wow that a lot to do before reading but i guess if i keep useing this it will come natural. But i didnt really that i could do this and it can help me read better.

    Tyler Adcock-sec.1

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of time in one day to take out just to read, but I guess if I want to succeed in life that's what I have to sacrifice. Cause the little bit that I am starting to use now with my reading is helping.
    Abbie Forry
    Section2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea that you came up with i would have never thought of that i am going to try it. Its shocks me the things you come up with is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never used to take a break, I would always procrastinate with whatever homework that I had to do. But now this idea looks very helpful. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah thats definitely alot of steps to do before you read lol. But i do like your process of how you do the time. specially with making the breaks lol :) thats definitely my favorite hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that I had to spend so much time on a certain section of reading material. In fact, I never actually heard of the reading reservation formula until today. I'm sure I could use this formula to help me succeed here at Penn State. What is probably the most interesting is that you have to "reserve" reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and the previous post was by Andrew Thompson, Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  8. This process just seems to difficult for reading. I think it would scare me away from reading with all the extra thinking id have to do.

    Katie Bricker section 1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow very good point never thought about setting time goals for yourself to get the reading done.

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  10. That all seems like a good idea, but when you come to terms with what kind of reader you are, some people read faster or slower than that, I know myself, i can get through somethings faster than others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could try this break idea. It makes sense, if you dont get side-tracked.

    -Anthany

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of this before, and at first glace it seems kind of weird. But after taking time to understand I realize that this stradegy would help me more than I think. I always get destracted by something or the other, but maybe setting up personal time with just reading would help me to focus more

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  13. If i start making dates, and reservation times for my reading maybe i wont procrastinate as much. Than i will finally get everything done on time and not the last minute.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems like a good idea to set time limits on how much is read. Taking a break after 20 minutes would help to comprehend the text just read and keep it in your brain. If everyone's brain is different how do we know this formula works for everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really looks like a great idea I'll try this next time when I read.

    Het Gandhi sec 1

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all just seems complicated, but its worth a shot i need all the reading tips i can get. Thanks- Lance Conley

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a lot of time put into reading even before you get the reading started. Seems like a good idea though and will keep you organized with what all you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really dont know if I want to spend anymore time into reading than taking notes and highlighting and to take my time. But doing things before hand are most likely a waste of time.

    Ryan Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow i didn't know that you should be reading text and taking breaks for that long total. That seems like a very long time. I've never used that much time before, but I also never took breaks.

    Sam Swank, Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never knew there was math involved with reading. I dont know how you can run a system this complex in all of lifes time constraints

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. # of sections 3_ x 5 minutes = 15_ minutes to read the chapter.
    2. # of sections _3 ÷ 4 =_.75_ how many breaks you will need to take X 5 minutes for each break = _3.75_minutes you will need for brain breaks.
    3. Minutes to read _15_ + _3.75_ Break time = _18.75_ Total reading time

    I like this formula, it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Number seem to scare me and i always wait to do stuff at the last minute. When you break down everything you do seem to be more orginized and the formula makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, thats a lot to do before reading. I will have to try it to see if it helps. This method would definitely keep me more organized in reading.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a really good point. also, i i know i am sorta a slow reader so i know that it wold be a little difficult for me to set a time goal on getting reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know that reading reservation formula is pretty clever. I'm actully going to try that the next time I read.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with cris. I think that this process is very unique but helpful...and I think that I might try that the next time that I read too!

    Lacey Walker section 1

    ReplyDelete
  27. This a very strqange process but quite frankly I seem to find this helpful in a way. It seems to be a organized way of reading.

    Shane Moore- Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  28. i think that the formula seems like it makes reading eaiser to break down into time like that

    ReplyDelete
  29. If i start picking hours to read maybe it will help more.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Taking breaks just takes away time that I could be reading the book. Plus I read so ungodly slow that setting a time wouldn't allow me enough time to finish.

    ADAM VETERE section 2

    ReplyDelete
  31. Takin small 5 minute breaks help me relax for a little but doesnt alowe me alot of time to completly forget what i read.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I feel this will help in reading long boring text books for classes. For example, my biology text book is enormous and the information can be quite overwhelming to read all at once. This formula you given might do the trick in understanding concepts and ideas better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I never thought about taking time out to refocus. But I feel like I won't get back into it if I decide to take a break. I think I'll get distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This a very strqange process but quite frankly I seem to find this helpful in a way. I will have to try it to see if it helps.

    Jae Pugh-Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have to try that when i am reading for my classes i like the ideas you come up with

    ReplyDelete
  36. Before whenever I read I waited to the last minute so I couldn't take a break. I really didn't take in the information. That is one thing that I need to change.
    Jake Carr

    ReplyDelete
  37. i am going to try this the next time i do this. hopefully it helps!

    ReplyDelete