Thursday, September 10, 2009

I ALREADY KNOW: SEARCHING FOR CONNECTIONS

Starting a conversation with someone you like can be slow and uncomfortable. And searching for topics of conversation can be a challenge. Have you ever experienced an awkward silence because you have no idea what to say?

Don’t look now but your “someone special” is coming over to talk with you! Stop worrying, you look fabulous but what are you going to say? The quicker you make connections, the easier it will be to talk. If you’ve flirted correctly, you should be well on your way to making connections. Take a deep breath, smile, and ask yourself, “What do I already know about this person?” As you use this information to chat about the last class you both attended, you’ll find yourself saying, “Me too!, I know!, I remember when I…”

Just like flirting, you need to search for connections before you read. Mature readers make connections between their previous experiences and the text features to support their memory. The amount of connections you make determines how efficient and effective you will learn the printed material. Before you read, ask yourself, “What do I already know about this topic, author, or genre?”

BREAKING IT DOWN:

Schema (pronounced skhÄ“ma) is a Greek word meaning plan. Schema is the mind’s way of being organized so you can quickly recall information. Throughout your life your mind has been storing and organizing two different types of knowledge: background knowledge and prior knowledge.

Background knowledge contains stored memories you have personally experienced. Examples include: trips to the beach, sporting events, and experiences with family. You use background knowledge schema when you make text to self connections and text to world connections. (See CUT IT OUT for more information about connections).

Prior knowledge contains all the factual information you have learned. Examples include: historical, scientific, and mathematical concepts learned in school. You use prior knowledge schema when you make text to text connections and text within a text connections. (See CUT IT OUT for more information about connections.)

Not all ideas are created equal. The amount of background knowledge and prior knowledge your schema contains is different for every topic, concept, and vocabulary term. As a result, the connections you make between the text and your previous experiences will vary.

Your mind doesn’t automatically remember new information unless it can be connected to existing schema. Cognitive researchers have found schema is not like a single filing cabinet, it’s more like Velcro (Heath, 2007). “The Velcro Theory” suggests new information enters short-term memory for a few seconds. If the mind cannot “hook” old information to new information, the new information is discarded. In other words, you are only capable of retaining information relevant to existing experiences. How do you activate these hooks?

Before you read, FLIRT with the text by looking at the text features and asking yourself, “What do I already know about the topic?” By activating your schema, you alert your mind to useful information already stored in your long-term memory. This information will help make meaningful connections between your mind and the author’s message.

Each time you learn or experience a new concept, your schema has three different types of reactions: assimilation, accommodation, or elimination.

Assimilation is when the mind perceives the new information as meaningful and creates new connections. For example, Fred knows tusks are long, white, external teeth used for protection. From his visits to the zoo, Fred has seen walruses with tusks. During a unit on African Elephants, Fred learns elephants also have tusks. Fred’s schema added or assimilated connections between walrus-tusk-elephant.

Accommodation is when the mind alters or changes existing schema. For example, after Fred’s new discovery of elephant tusks, Fred applied this information incorrectly to all elephants. While he was doing a research project on different types of elephants, he discovered only certain elephants have tusks. Fred’s schema changed or accommodated by removing some of the connections between “all elephants have tusks” to “not all elephants have tusks.”

Elimination occurs when new information is perceived as irrelevant or when old schema connections are not used regularly. Your mind naturally eliminates or prunes away neurological connections that aren’t used to make room for new connections. This is why it is important to read, study, or talk about factual information every day. If you don’t use the new connections you built while reading, your mind will eliminate them.

CUT IT OUT:

Your personal life has everything to do with what you are reading.

Mature readers know their amount of schema strongly influences their ability to make meaning from the text. Don’t waste your time trying to memorize concepts in isolation. Without connecting new knowledge to your previous knowledge, your mind may not be able to recall it for future conversations or tests. Even worse, your mind may perceive the new information as irrelevant and discard it. Why take the chance? Support your mind by taking time to determine what you already know.

You have a lot of useful information in your mind. Some of the information you have personally experienced. Other times you heard it or saw it on TV. You may have read about it on the Internet, book, or magazine. Some information you may have just learned by looking at the text features. You can keep your mind interested by making connections to four different areas of knowledge.

Text to Self connections arise when you make connections to your background knowledge, or stored memories you have personally experienced. Ask yourself, “When have I been there, done that, or felt that way?” If you discover a connection, jot the idea in the margin or on a post-it note right by the text feature that stimulated the memory. Start your sentence with, “I already know…”

Text to World connections occur when you make a connection to something you remember but haven’t personally experienced. Maybe your Uncle was in Iraq or you heard about the topic on the news. Ask yourself, “When has someone else been there, done that, or felt that way?” If you make a text to world connection, start your sentence with, “This reminds me of…”

Text to Text connections happen when you recall similar information from a text you have read in the past. Ask yourself, “Where have I read about the topic, the place, or a person’s feelings?” Begin your text to text connection with, “I remember when…”

Text within a Text connections are made when you recall information you just read. Maybe you previewed the introduction and summary paragraphs of the chapter or a topic from another page was discussed again. Ask yourself, “Has the author left any clues about the topic, the place, or the person’s feelings?” When you make a text within a text connection, start your sentence with, “From what I read in the text…”

As soon as you take time to check all four areas of your schema, you create a deeper understanding and remember more. Making connections helps you transfer the new information into long-term memory so you can ACE your test.

REALITY CHECK

It’s time to ask yourself, “What do I already know about the genre, author, and topic?” Open up your textbook and look at the text features. Notice your mental thoughts as you scan the text. Write down any memories that pop into your mind. Pay attention to your inner voice as it compares the text feature information to your schema.

As you FLIRT with the information advertised by the author, establish a plan for your reading. This will help you determine which sections will be difficult to read. For example, if you have an abundance of prior knowledge, you will find the section easy to read and your pace fast. However, if the topic is new or you have very little prior knowledge, be prepared to read the section with a slower pace, stopping often to make sure your mind has time to make new connections within your schema.

The next time you pick up a text, take into consideration your previous knowledge about the topic so your mind can build strong neurological connections. FLIRTing with the text alerts the mind to focus on critical features and anticipate specific connections.

Check out Chip Heath and Dan Heath's book Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Other Die at http://www.madetostick.com/

35 comments:

  1. Flirting with the text sounds so silly but it really does pay off in the long run. When your mind replays the schemas previously learned, it makes reading a lot more easier to comprehend what you read. Once reading becomes easier to comprehend your schema will be stronger too, along with your long term memeory. This widens your perspective outlook on reading and the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that this flirting thing was never going to work, but it is interesting how so many people do it and don't even know about it. For me I didn't do all the steps to flirt I pretty much just figured out what I was going to be reading about, so I knew how bored I was going to be.
    Abbie Forry
    Section2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well for me I stopped flirting a long time ago but when i use to it was easy for me because im a people person and i know what to say. But when i use flirting when i read it is easy for me as well you have a wonderful technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt know until now that there were so many things you can do to memorize information you have read. Also, i thinkthe best thing was to really ask your self what do you know so you can be prepared for the reading. Knowing this, i think it will help me a lot.

    Tyler Adcock-sec.1

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we first learned about flirting with your text, I thought it was going to be dumb. Plus I never thought that it would help me understand what I was reading. But now that I am flirting almost everyday or when I can, it is a lot of fun. I can understand what I am reading. It makes life a heck of a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flirting is an odd way to read but i like it lol. At first i thought it was a little crazy but now i understand what your telling us to look for which honestly is very smart. When i read i always use the flirt system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weirdly enough, I already did this in high school. I actually talked to the text just like this in my 11th grade English class. I didn't like it then, but now I realize that it actually benefited me. I can tell that this is going to be easy, especially since I am not planning on highlighting in my Sociology book; I will be using sticky notes instead.

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is so funny how flirting with a person is so much like reading a book. I need to ask myself more questions about a book before i read it so i understand things better. I guess i didnt before because it sounds so weird to do.

    katie bricker section 1

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first heard of flirting i thought it was dumb, but now i think it may be helpful in the long run!

    -Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have learned many ways in school to get more comfortable with reading, and to understand more out of the reading, the FLIRTing with the text has to be the best so far, it makes me look for connections and other things that intrigue me and make me look into it deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flirting with the text has alreay helped me in college. Math is going a little more smoother than it used to. Seems like more work to do this, but you get out what you put in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is pretty much if you put in alot you get alot. If you put little out than you get very little.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete
  13. The more I think about it making connections to what I already know is a very helpful tip. I've been told to make connections just to understand what the writer is saying. I've never been told that this tip help saves time so that I'm not reading something I already know. That's pretty nice.

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most people just read the text all at once. The strategy of Flirting actually works it allows the reader to skim the text and make connections. This allows the information to stick with you. If I only knew about this strategy earlier.

    Pete Floyd, section 1

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is so much ways you can do when you read or before you read and try to connect and the one that has been helpful is the FLIRTing with the text because I think that's the most helpful way to connect when you read.

    Het Gandhi sec 1

    ReplyDelete
  16. Didn't know there were so many ways to read and help you understand it more. All these tips that deal with flirting will help me out in the long run with all the reading that I have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do agree on that if you flirt with the text it will get you in tune with the text and that if you think about what you already know then you can make connections which is what i have to work on thanks for the tip. -Lance Conley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Flirting to a book sounded ridiculus at first but theres something else to it.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Flirting with the text actually seems like it can work. I mean the fact that reading is like flirting it's very weird but it actually works.

    Sam Swank, Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  20. It makes sense for making as much connections as possible. Just like the example with velcro the more connections or hooks you have the stronger the idea will stay

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never heard of the word schema until I had class the other day. It was very new and interesting to me because I never knew that is how your mind worked. While now knowing that information I going to get my mind to make connections to remember information.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Flirting with the text is so wierd. When yo are interested right away it does make a differece.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Flirting with the text sounds kind of weird at first but once you begin using it, it really helps. I use FLIRT when I read textbooks and reading is now easier.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  24. i have also started to FLIRT with the text. it has been helping with reading my text books. sometimes i have trouble with the what you already know part, but overall FLIRT has helped my reading comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I still don't like flirting with text. However in the end it does pay off for me.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  26. it really does surprise me that reading is so much alike to everyday things. like this whole FLIRT thing...I do it everyday...I did it with reading before but I didnt know that it had a name...

    Lacey Walker section 1

    ReplyDelete
  27. It surprises me everytime I read on these blogs that it pertains to something in our daily lives. The flirt your taext is a great thing to use. I just have to get used to using it.

    Shane Moore- Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ever since i started to flirt with the text it seems like it is eaiser to understand what im reading.

    ReplyDelete
  29. you have to read everyday it is alot of work but using the FLIRT is much easyier

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're getting really technical with the ways the brain processes information. I like to just think and not worry about what my brain is actually doing.

    ADAM VETERE section 2

    ReplyDelete
  31. Instead of readng it all at once the whole idea of breaking it down really helps me remember what i read and understand it all. This is definitly a style im going to remember using throughout college.

    cortney Denlinger section 1

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think comparing your brain to the velcro thing is really cool. Looking at the text before you read is a good idea, it will help you remember better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The actual term of FLIRT sounds wierd and stupid at first. When the truth is that it actually is working and helps a lot more than how I used to do it.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  34. Flirting with the text sounds strange to do but is actually a good idea if you know how to do it the right way. It is very helpful for reading.

    ReplyDelete