Thursday, August 27, 2009

REBELLIOUS READING

I dare you to turn off your cell phone for twenty minutes. It will make you smarter! Did you just say, “No?” What are you, chicken? What’s the worst thing that could happen? Speak up, I can’t hear you. Did you just say, “My family and friends might try to contact me and if I don’t answer, they will start to worry.” Are you serious? You’re telling me that your “peeps” can’t wait twenty minutes while you read a small section of a textbook?

Your cell phone isn’t holding you back from studying; it’s your desire to avoid reading! You sit there, staring at the textbook, just praying that someone will call you so you can stop reading.

Rebel! Go against your desire to avoid reading.

It can be difficult to disobey the ringing vibration of the cell phone, especially if you are not rebellious by nature. That’s why I am asking you to take the seven day rebel reading challenge. In one short week you can take control of your studying and improve your memory.

REBEL READING CHALLENGE

Day 1: Become aware of how often your phone rings and interrupts your studying. Tell the caller you are studying and will call them back in twenty minutes.

Day 2: Make a commitment to rebel by posting a message (via Facebook, Twitter, email, text, etc.) that you will be unavailable to respond to calls for the next twenty minutes. Notice how often the phone rings, but don’t answer it. After twenty minutes, respond to the callers.

Day 3: Repeat the above process, but turn your phone off for ten minutes. Check your phone after ten minutes and then turn it off again. Respond only to emergencies. (BTW, your friend’s call about which shirt to wear is NOT an emergency!)

Day 4: Don’t post an alert that you will be unavailable to calls for twenty minutes. Just turn off the phone for ten minutes, check it, and turn it back off for another ten minutes. When you are
finished reading the section, jot down a summary sentence and then return important phone calls.

Day 5: Repeat the above process, but increase the turn off time to fifteen minutes. Continue checking the phone and reading until the whole chapter is finished. Reward yourself by taking a break to respond to your callers.

Day 6: Keep the turn off time to fifteen minutes and be aware of how quickly you finish the chapter and how much you remember.

Day 7: Continue the rebellious reading but increase the phone free time to twenty minutes.

You have the power to turn off the cell phone, remember what you read and discover your inner genius. Don’t wait for the phone to stop vibrating! Be proactive. Become a rebellious reader and blog about your results.

37 comments:

  1. I am not really a cell phone talker, to be honest. I often actually turn my phone off to study. I will start this, however, as an experiment. I am a bookworm so I know that it is hard to study with phones ringing all the time. This is actually really easy for me as I actually leave my phone off for WAY more than 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont really talk on my cell phone, im more of a texter. I mean i could prob turn it off and study but im just so addicted to textin thats its hard. I mean yeah i know it sounds dumb but most ppl are textaholics also. But i guess i could at least try it because there is no harm in trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't hard for me to do. I basically do it already when I read. Easy Challenge.

    Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I txt alot but I could turn my phone off for 20 minutes and study without any problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the last post was mike forstoffer sry for not posting my name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems like an easy challenge for me. I usually turn my cell phone off when I study or read something and for 20 mins seems like no problem. Het Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was not hard but, it was tempting to want to check to see if I got a text or a call. I thought the tempation to check the phone was the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with Logan. I am the same way. This challenge definitely isn't hard for me!

    Andrew Thompson, Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  9. I normally turn of my phone anyways when I study or am doing homework. But now that I got my new phone it actually doesn't turn of but i still turn it on silent and put it on the other side of the room (out of sight) while doing my work.

    Sam Swank, Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My cell phone is only on when im out of the house. Even then I rarely ever turn it on. My parents and friends get angry because they cannot talk to me and dont know where i am at. I have a problem to how i dont use my phone enough.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never turned my phone off, at all!! But i could really see how that could lead to problems with my reading. I think I will do this challenge it could only make me better. :)

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do make it a point to try and avoid reading as much as possible. I find it so boring to read out of a textbook, so when a text comes, I use that as an excuse to stop. Maybe I'll turn my phone off in the future to improve my study habits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sorry, forgot my name, ADAM VETERE section 2

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow this is going to be hard. Im big on texting and I hate reading.... sorry i was answering a text. Anyway I'll try right after this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ever since I made a facebook, I use my facebook more often then my phone. Don't get me wrong I love to text, but usually I put my phone away from me when I'm doing homework. I know my weaknesses, so putting my phone away helps me out a little.

    -katie bricker

    ReplyDelete
  17. i will have to try this because i normally text a few times in between studying because the reading never catches enough of my attention to put the phone away. this is going to be a challenge because i never have my phone off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. dont get wrong i like to text but i dont think it would be that hard to turn it off for only 20 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I accepted the challenge and when i went to turn my phone back on i had over 15 missed calls 10 text messages and a pissed off girlfriend haha, but it does work a little.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When i tried this i had many people that said they tried to call me. I realized i can concentrate more on my studies too.
    -jordan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I am going to try it. I accept your challenge I will turn off my phone for 20 minutes.

    Shane Moore- Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  22. Turining you cell phone is one of the hardest things to do. When you turn it off I always seem to get yelled at for not having it on. I do agree if you do turin it off you can concentrae on what you are dong.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The whole thing were it says if your phone rings tell them your studying and you'll call back in 20 mins. I believe when studying the phone should be already turned off. Thats what i do while studying.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know that in class I make it sound that I dont want to turn my phone off, but in reality I can not do it. my mother has back problems and I take care of her. if i turn my phone off, she'll just call on the intercom. if I turn that off...I'll never hear the end of it. so I really cant do that.

    Lacey Walker

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can all ways turn my phone off. And you can get alot done if you turn your cell off.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This topic is so easy yet it is the hardiest to complete. For some people, turning off their cell phone is like taking a piece of them away, atleast that's how I feel, but i put mine on the whole other side of the room, and if it does ring then ill look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well turning off my cell phone while trying to complete my work is easy for me because it no longer distracts me anymore that would be a piece of cake for me Daniellie Cole

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never turned my phone off before, but i think I can do it if it means it will help me study, read and do homework. I am definitely going to try this one tonight.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't turn it off but I put it somewhere else so that I won't hear it go off. Whether it's on or off I still think about it, so turning it off wouldn't change anything, but it def. helps concentrate more if it's not even close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think turning it off would be easy for me since I already do for both of my jobs. However, it is still a challenge to concentrate when you know that it is sitting right there, so just hide it somewhere or give it to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thats exactly what i do when im either readin or doing homework. Ill just sit there and constinitly be looking at my phone to see if i get a text. Its because i wold rather be doing anything else but that. the worst part is that it works and then i get behind on homework and iv come to relize college is alot different then highschool. i really cant get behind now like i could then.

    cortney Denlinger section 1

    ReplyDelete
  32. It seems like a lot of people including myself are easily distracted by cell phones and we sometimes feel like we always need to be available for that one little text message or call. When we get so preoccupied with our phones, we forget to concentrate on the everyday ongoing things around us. A proper balance to social life and studying is key to be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Turning off my cell phone would be hard. I txt alot. Last month I had about 12,000 txts.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love texting and it is hard for me to turn off my phone because i don't want to miss anything. But, if it will help me become a better reader I will give it a try.
    Abbie Forry
    Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  35. I usually turn my cell phone off during classes. Im trying to text less.

    Anthany

    ReplyDelete
  36. I will have to try this. It's going to be hard for me though, because I am always on my phone. I'll take some time getting used to.

    Kimberly Harkanson

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a hard task for me, but no matter how tempting it will be to check my phone. I need to hold myself back and stay focused.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete