Sunday, August 30, 2009

FLIRT BEFORE READING

Do you know how to flirt? The actual process of flirting begins long before you talk to your love interest. Let’s say the person you like is in one of your classes. You wouldn’t just role out of bed and go to school. You would carefully choose the “right” outfit to make your eyes stand out. Spend extra time in the bathroom making sure every hair was in place and your breath smelled fresh. You might even prepare questions to ask and topics to discuss just in case you got close enough to talk.

If you know how to flirt with a human, you know the cognitive process a mature reader goes through before reading a text. Mature readers prepare their mind to read as you prepare to look your best for that special someone.

BREAKING IT DOWN
To flirt with means, “to take into consideration.” As a reader, you are taking into consideration the author’s style, the way the text is organized and the topic being discussed so you can hold a strong mental conversation and remember the important information. When you open the doors of your mind for interaction, conversation, and growth, you are able to remember what you read. Since there are five different steps your mind must go through when FLIRTing with the text I created an acronym to help you remember them. An acronym, means each letter in FLIRT represents a step. The next five chapters explain each letter in detail.

F: Fiction or Nonfiction: Genre does Matter
L: Look at Text Features: Check out Those Special Features
I: I Already Know: Search for Connections
R: Reveal the Purpose: Get Interested
T: Text Structures: Organize a Date

CUT IT OUT
FLIRTing with the text is not enough to comprehend or make meaning from the chapter.Mature readers know FLIRTing with a text is only the beginning of the reading process. If you expect to remember what you read, you must slow down and be an active reader by taking notes, highlighting and drawing pictures. Skimming and scanning the chapter are terrific for creating a curiosity to read. However, this is only surface reading.

Skimming is like watching for a cute face to walk by at the mall. You see a few cute faces but you never go up to talk with them. On the other hand, scanning is like watching for your friend. You are looking for a specific face in the crowd. Once you find your friend, you go and engage in a conversation.

Skimming is done first to grasp an overview of the chapter, activate schema, identify topics and establish a purpose for reading. Start at the top of the page and read the text features. As you reach the bottom of the page, stop and identify sections/ideas/words that are new to you by highlighting, writing notes or adding marks. These marks make your thoughts visible for future reference. The marked sections will need to be read with a deeper, slower process (see DRIVE).

Scanning is done to determine if the resource contains the information you need. You know what you are looking for and search for specific words and phrases. Once you discover the information, you interact with it by highlighting it or writing it down. When you are trying to answer the chapter questions by searching for key words instead of reading, you are scanning. (see RELAX for a more effective way to answer questions.)

TIME CHECK – Does your mind need a break? Stand up, walk around, get a drink and then come right back. You have two minutes.

REALITY CHECK
It’s time to apply your FLIRTing skills to your books. Yes, those dry, boring textbooks that weigh down your backpack and cramp your social life. I want you to get interested in reading by FLIRTing with those textbooks of yours. Go ahead; sneak a peak at the whole chapter. Take a good look at each page. Check out the titles, headings, pictures, captions and bold words. Then start asking questions and marking sections for further reading. Just like flirting, some sections are worth a second look. You may want to skim over a section because you need to build some background knowledge. Maybe you noticed a section that was discussed in class and you want to double-check your memory. However, other sections may only require one look because the charts, pictures or maps gave you enough information. Academic reading is about reading smarter, not harder.

The next time you pick up a text, take into consideration the external clues the author left so your mind can begin to make meaning. When you FLIRT before you read, you become more interested in the topic, which helps your mind stay focused and organized.

38 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time I pick up one of my text books I will Flirt before I read it. It sounds like it will help a lot and help me focus on my reading.

    Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew that you can "flirt" with your reading aswell as human. Now that i know how to flirt with my text, I will be sure to flirt before i read.

    Tyler Adcock-sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never flirted with a book before. I guess it cant hurt to try it out and mabey it will work for me.

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems kind of odd, but based on what the text told me, I might have flirted with a book already! There is still a lot I need to do, though, so I guess it would be beneficial to actually try what it says here. I like how the author compares this to flirting with someone of the opposite sex!

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have never thought of doing that to a book but i think it would be a good idea just to put all my knowledge about the book together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love flirting so why not flirt with an inanimate objects sounds like fun, but also weird.
    -Lance Conley

    ReplyDelete
  8. This will be wierd at first because i never thought i would flirt with a book. hopefully it will keep me more interested.
    -jordan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love to flirt all the time, it's what I do. But I never thought of flirting with my reading. It seems weired but yet it seems like a good way to put all the knowledge of a book together to know more about what I am reading.

    Shane Moore-Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow i got to work on my flirting. The baseball guys are gonna laugh when they find out Im flirting with a book

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't believe I flirt but I definitely could tell when someone is flirting and I know how to. And I have been given many tips towards becoming a better reader. But approaching the whole reading experience with a flirting attitude was an entirely new for me.I did try it and found that it actually works.


    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flirting with a book is a lot like flirting with a real person. I really liked this article when it was talking about skimming and scanning. I think I need to follow through with FLIRT and see if it helps me.

    Katie Bricker, section 1

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a problem of skimming while reading. I tend to lose focus and just skim through the words. When i see something different of out of the ordinary i pay more attention. But it does get me in trouble when i use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. its so funny that we compare flirting from reading a book to using it in real life. like I never would have put the two together. if someone asked me last year if I flirt with books...I wouldnt answer the question and would have walked away! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now this method sounds like it will work ima try this out and see how this works. flirt with your book never heard such thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This strategy of flirting might actually help to stay focused and interested while reading books that are of no interest. I will have to see if flirting with the texts makes me pay more attention to the book.

    Pete Floyd, Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think when i use the FLIRT method while reading, ill get more out of my reading. It's kind of funny to say i'm flirting with my text but i can see it helping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To flirt with a book, sounds interesting but also a little wierd. It may work, maybe ill try it next time I have to read a textbook.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never flirted with text, but i am going to try it next time. I can flirt with a human so i should be able to flirt with text.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only thing that i flirt with is a book i pick something that sounds interesting that keeps me wanting to know whats going to happen next. Any kind of reading takes work and alot of knowlegde.

    ReplyDelete
  22. At first, I felt wierd flirting with a book but then I realized that it was really helping me understand what I am reading. I think that I will flirt with all my books I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. When i first heard about flirting with the text in the clas, i thought it was extremely wierd but now knowing what it means and how to do it, it really does help.

    Cortney Dnlinger section 1

    ReplyDelete
  24. Flirting before reading sounds kind of silly actually but little did I know it can be a great benefit. Once everyone gets used to flirting another world of literature emerges and opens up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. my first thought, flirt with the text?! i did not understand what that had to do with anything. but i now understand that is a important key in any reading material. i plan on using this in my future reading assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never realized that I could compare reading to flirting with a girl. I guess if I can flirt wuth a girl I can read.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never considered flirting with my textbook before I read it, but it seems like a good idea. Not real flirting though.

    ADAM VETERE, section 2

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I think about flirting a book isn't the first thing that comes to my head. It seems weird to get used to but I think I can.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I never thought that reading could be looked at in this point of view to flirt. It is rather funny, and i enjoy it because it helps me understand more, because there is more to reading than just reading.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a weird idea. Not sure it will work, but I get the picture.

    Anthany

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I never really thought you could flirt when you read a book or look through your textbook. I will try this next time.

    Het Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  33. flirting with the text seems very weird. But I think it's a great idead and checking out the text before reading it so you know what your about to read can really help with the comprention. I will have to try this next time I have a reading assignment.

    Sam Swank, Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  34. Flirting wth you book sounds wierd but i might try to see if it works. It sounds like a good idea to check out the text before reading.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I never flirted with a book before. Next time i read, I'm going to try it.

    Kimberly Harkanson

    ReplyDelete
  36. Instead of flirting with women...now im flirting with books. this will be new!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Flirting is a necessary skill for both men and women, but learning how to flirt can seem intimidating. Just keep in mind that at its most basic, flirting is just being friendly with someone whom you find attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Get her to make the first move. Relax, smile, make eye contact and look away. If she hasn't made a move after the third attempt she probable isn't going to, so approach her or pick another girl.

    ReplyDelete