Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Let's Get Physical

Humans are creatures of habit. We do things because “that’s the way it’s always been done.” We pick up habits from our culture, parents, and friends. There’s good news and bad news. Bad news: many of these habits make you ineffective while reading. Good news: it’s never too late to change.

Dr. Phil McGraw, a T.V. psychologist, is well known for saying, “How’s that working for you?” You need to spend some time reflecting on your reading habits and ask yourself, “How’s that working for me?” You will find some habits support your reading while others hinder your ability to make meaning from a text. Take time to set yourself up for success by evaluating your reading habits and choose to read smarter, not harder. Cut out your bad habits and replace them with good habits!

Your brain is often compared to a computer. Your daily habits of sleep, diet, and exercise all effect the way your computer (brain) functions. Let’s take a closer look as to why your physical health is connected to learning.

Sleep
Learning is two parts. Getting it and remembering it! In order to get it, you have to focus on what you are trying to learn. The lack of sleep affects your ability to focus on what you are reading.

Dr. Lewis Terman, originated the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Test, found that the longer students slept, the better they performed in school. Additional studies have confirmed the link between sleep and performance. Why? Proper sleep allows for better focus on what you are reading and increases the amount you remember from what you learned the previous day.

The scary thing is many Americans are starved for sleep. Most people focus on the “getting it” part. Once we get it, many of us take remembering the information for granted. If we do not remember, what is the point? There are many strategies to increase your memory. One of the simplest things that you can do is to get enough sleep. Yes, sleep. How hard is that?

Leslie Stahl’s report on the Science of Sleep (March, 2008) featured Matthew Walker, director of UC Berkeley's Sleep and Neuroimaging Laboratory and senior author of the study coordinated with researchers from Harvard University, suggests that getting a good night’s sleep after you learned new information make you remember it better. This new information flies in the face of the idea of pulling an all-nighter. Let’s go back to the computer analogy. All day long, you are learning. This new information is being typed into an ‘email’ to yourself. While you sleep your brain hits the ‘send’ key. The only problem is that the ‘send’ key is not hit as your fall asleep. It happens during the last two hour of the sleep cycle. You need between 8-10 hours of sleep. If you are not getting the recommended sleep, there is a good chance that your brain will not remember the information. Feel better. Learn more. Remember. Sleep.

Diet
The proper amount of sleep is just as important as a proper diet. Eating healthy is vital to a healthy body and a healthy brain. The brain uses 20% of your body’s energy and is the only organ that doesn’t store energy. You are what you eat. In fact, you are only as smart as your last meal, because your brain is using the food that you just ate. Avoid food with a lot of processed sugars. Eat fruits, dark green vegetables, eggs, lean meats, beans, and nuts. Eat a high protein meal for breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

Be a detective and investigate food labels so you are making healthy and smart choices. Eating foods with high-levels of protein increase mental alertness, energy, and motivation. Eating carbohydrates alone, without protein, has a calming effect and aids in focus. Glucose (nature’s sugar) is fuel for the brain and comes from simple and complex carbohydrates. Fruits are extremely healthy but won’t activate the food/mind/mood response. Don’t forget the water! Never get thirsty. You should drink eight or more glasses of water a day. You brain cannot function its best if you are dehydrated.


Best Proteins: Shellfish, fish, skinless chicken, veal, lean beef, low fat cottage cheese and yogurt, dried beans, peas, and tofu.

Best Carbohydrates: Whole wheat bread, crackers, muffins, rolls, bagels, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn (tortillas); cereals and oatmeal served with milk blocks the effect but is still nutritional.

Exercise
You know that exercise is important for the body, but did you know that exercise could make you smarter? When you exercise you increase your blood circulation and more oxygen and glucose pass through the brain. Exercise increases energy production and waste removal. Exercise reduces the stress chemicals that prevents learning and is also thought to anchor new information in the brain. If you exercise while you are learning or immediately after you are learning, you will more likely remember the information. Are you getting the picture? Eat right, get enough sleep, and exercise. Not only will you be healthier, but you are preparing your brain to learn. If you want to learn exactly how or why a sleep, diet, and exercise affect your brain, check out these websites.

http://www.brainconnection.com
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/neurok.html
http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/front_neuro.html

33 comments:

  1. Ok, so eat right, get enough sleep, and exercise? I think i got it. I never tried these things but maybe I will give them a shot.

    -Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intresting. I never relized how much your diet, exercise or sleep could help you with your school. I am deffinitly going to use these methods to help me succeed in college.

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never realized that diet, sleeping, and exercise was so important for school. After reading this it looks like i'll have to change my bad habits.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, so i get around 7 hours of sleep, eat a lot of fruits not so much vegies, and love to work out. But, i guess i have to eat a variety of different foods, get a little bit more sleep, and keep on working out.

    Tyler Adcock

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that my bad habits are what keeping me from wanting to study or read. I'm not used to studying all that much but i think if i change my habits it will be for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fairly familar with the diet and exercise, it makes me feel good about myself. The only problem I have is the sleep part! Why? Well I don't always get the amount of sleep I should be getting, instead I usually get 6 or less. I have a hard time falling asleep which may be due to sometimes having energy drinks in my system. If its not the energy drinks, then its work and I really need to manage my sleep hours. This way my mind will thank me and feel like its ready to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly didn't know that your brain acts like a computer. Yet I seem to balance my sleep, exercise, and diet quite well. I try to sleep no less than 8 hours a night, and also try to eat right. As for my exercise, I actually kind of knew that it would help me focus. However, I didn't know it reduces the stress chemicals that prevent new information from entering the brain and I also didn't know that I am lucky to get my sleep. Sure, I knew that Americans don't get enough sleep, but I know I do and I am thankful. So I guess that my "computer" is A-OK with what I am doing because I seem to remember a lot!

    Andrew Thompson, Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew a pretty good amount about how exercise, diet, and sleep really have an effect on a person and their school behavior. But this article really opened my eyes, and gave me exact answers to why I need all three of the above. I am realizing more that maybe I need to improve my sleeping habbits.

    -Katie Bricker, section 1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I didn't know that your diet, sleep and exercising helped in that way. I normally don't get the recomended 8-10 hours of sleep so I think I will start that and see how it helps.

    -Sam Swank Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok cool! I have to eat right,sleep right, and excercise right??? I never knew how important it was to be healthy and how it helps you. I normally don't get alot of sleep so maybe I should go to bed early tonight to try it out.

    Shane Moore-Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do exercise daily, but I don't watch what I eat or make a conscious decision to get enough sleep. Watching what I eat and getting enough sleep are two things that I am going to work on in the future and I will study in between workouts to try and attain more knowledge. ADAM VETERE, section 2

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I try to eat right and exercise, and for the sleeping I will try to go to bed early then often.
    Also, will try to continue this throughout college to study and learn better. Het Gandhi section 1

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand the getin eight to ten hours of sleep, and even eatting right makes sense, but what reall interested me was exercising can help you to remember what you've studied better. I will be using what i learned because it makes too much sense not to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's like everytime i come on here and read something new i learn something different everyday and i never knew that sleep and diet had something to do with your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This article is completely true, when you eat right, exercise, and get the right amount of sleep you become a better reader and better person. Just these three things can change a persons reading habits.

    Pete Floyd, Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never knew that eating right will help you become a better reader.. I all ways heard of sleeping right mow i understand..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am into a lot of exercise if i do not exercise i feel like total crap and can't function throughout the day. I don't get much sleep until the weekends i work 20 hours a week and attend college therefore; i don't have time to sleep. I eat when i can, not the same everyday. I had no idea that all this could make a better reader though.
    -Lance Conley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exercise and sleep are totally my things but eating healthy, I definitely need to work on.

    Ryan Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  20. I try to work out in the time I can, but that is usually not that much. I work everyday of the week at nite, so when I get off at 11:00 is when I usually start my homework. I don't get much sleep since I work 2 jobs and go to school. I really don't have much time to eat healty since I eat late at night or not at all. However, after reading this, I might have to try and change my schedule so I can become a better reader myself.

    Matthew Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  21. I understand perfectly how all these thinks can help you become a better reader. For me it's just a matter of putting it into work. I need to go to sleep at a reasonable hour and eat right and make sure i schedule my days accordingly.

    -Latifah Pittmam

    ReplyDelete
  22. A already posted this but whatever. I know my two big habbits are not eating right and getting enough sleep. I eat a lot of fast food lol and I dont usally go to bed till 2am or 3, just because of work or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i already know my biggest habits contain eating and sleeping. i use working forty hours a week as my excuse for not getting enough sleep. as for my eating, i don't think that i could eat better if i tried.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mom has always said that eating and sleeping is a big part of doing well in school, now that i have heard it from someone else i should have done more of it. I will try to eat more breakfest especially because that is what you need most.
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really need to become a better reader. Whenecer i read it usually doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maybe If I got more sleep, I would not want to skim so much. I usually, do'nt eat breakfast either, guess thats not good.

    Anthany

    ReplyDelete
  27. well I think that the only thing that I ritually do, is sleep! haha I just dont pay attention to the other stuff! haha I mean the excerise that I get is when I work! but that will get better once basketball season starts!

    Lacey Walker

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like to stay active most of the day, because I feel better at night, and proud of myself. I do need to start eating breakfast everyday though. Before I get to that though I have to wake up a little earlier so I have time to eat in the first place.

    Jen Fink

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think i got it... Sleep, eat healthy, and exercise. I already do that on a daily basis so i believe i should be good

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have always had atleast 2 of those 3 in my scheduele. Maybe the wrong mix of them is what is holding me back.

    Dino Marros

    ReplyDelete
  31. I never thought this would effect my studying and reading. Im going to have to try to eat right and exercise more and see if it helps. I hope it does, if not at least i will be healthier.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  32. I never realized so many things can help your reading. I'll have to change my bad habits

    Kimberly Harkanson

    ReplyDelete
  33. I usually get the right food and exercise. Maybe i need to hit the sack just a little earlier than usual.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete