Saturday, August 29, 2009

HOW ARE YOU SMART? PART ONE

Did you know you were not born with the ability to read? That’s right, it is not natural for you to read. You had to teach your brain how to make meaning from these squiggly lines on the page. Research suggests human minds differ in their ability to make meaning. The key to remembering what you read is to discover the way your mind likes to learn.

To prove this theory, notice how your mind recalls the following items:
· Remember the Star Spangled Banner (National Anthem)
· Remember a basketball
· Remember how to swing a bat
· Remember the definition of a flower

Did you hear the tune for the Star Spangled Banner, see a picture of a basketball and physically feel swinging the bat? “Information is not stored in a specific location in the brain but in various locations- visual, auditory, and motor cortices – and is joined in circuits or networks of neurons (p. 72, Wolfe, 2001).” Remembering the definition of a flower was harder because you had to pull from several different cortices to create meaning.

HERE IS THE TRICKY PART
Even though all sensory information flows into the visual, auditory and motor cortices, your mind may prefer to use one over the other two. You’ve heard the term diversity to describe race, ethnicity, and gender. When it comes to the brain, cognitive scientists say humans are neurologically diverse or differ in the style their mind likes to learn. Some minds prefer to listen and talk (auditory learner), some like to look at pictures and draw (visual learner), while others would rather move and touch (kinesthetic learner).

On the web site, http://www.businessballs.com/, Victoria Chislett, a performance psychologist, defines the three learning styles as:

  • Someone with a Visual learning style has a preference for seen or observed things, including pictures, diagrams, demonstrations, displays, handouts, films, flip-chart, etc. These people will use phrases such as ‘show me’, ‘let’s have a look at that’ and will be best able to perform a new task after reading the instructions or watching someone else do it first. These are the people who will work from lists and written directions and instructions.
  • Someone with an Auditory learning style has a preference for the transfer of information through listening: to the spoken word, of self or others, of sounds and noises. These people will use phrases such as ‘tell me’, ‘let’s talk it over’ and will be best able to perform a new task after listening to instructions from an expert. These are the people who are happy being given spoken instructions over the telephone, and can remember all the words to songs that they hear!
  • Someone with a Kinesthetic learning style has a preference for physical experience - touching, feeling, holding, doing, practical hands-on experiences. These people will use phrases such as ‘let me try’, ‘how do you feel?’ and will be best able to perform a new task by going ahead and trying it out, learning as they go. These are the people who like to experiment, hands-on, and never look at the instructions first!


WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU AS A READER?

  • If your mind prefers visual input, you must look at the pictures on the page before, during, and after reading. You should also take notes by drawing pictures to represent the concepts you read.
  • If your mind prefers auditory input, you may have to read out loud or record yourself reading and then play it back. You should talk about the concepts you read before you take notes.
  • If your mind prefers kinesthetic input, you may have to read standing up or sitting on an exercise ball. Stop often to walk around the room and take notes by creating movements to represent the concepts you read.

    How are you smart?

    For more information on learning styles, visit: http://www.businessballs.com/vaklearningstylestest.htm

Wolfe, Patricia. (2001). Brain Matters. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Alexandria, Virginia.

35 comments:

  1. I am defintitely a visual reader, i kno this becauase i much rather read something then take notes at my own pace. I enjoy that much more than having someone stand up infront of me and try to teach me what i am probably already ahead of him by reading the handout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a mix to audio and visual. I like to hear it and then I like to see it and I feel I leanr the best this way

    Mike Forstoffer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the type of person who is hands on like one on one with the teacher so that i can get a better understanding. I understand and feel better that way. Daniellie Cole section 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a visual and audio learner. I like to listen and try to visualize the description

    Het Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surely a kinesthetic learner. I love to do things with my hands, like touching, bilding, and trying to do it my-self. I guess i can be a visual learner too, but i more prefer to do it my-self and be more hands-on.

    Tyler AAdcock-sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say I am a visual and kinesthetic learner. First I have to see it, then I have to do it. When I played sports in High School I would have to see it then do it. Its just the way I Learn.

    Pete Floyd, section 1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely a visual learner. I never was really good learning by kinesthetics or audio. If I can see it, the image is stuck in my head and I thus learn better. I can "see" it inside my brain! Audio learning just escapes my head within seconds.

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a kinesthetic learner i need to be moving or doing something in order to stay focus on the task. I will try this with reading, thanks.
    -Lance Conley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that the one I am the most is a kinesthetic learner. But I also like to use the other two as well when I learn. So I can use all my sences to learn.

    Sam Swank, Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the only true way i can learn is to be hands on. i try to pay attention when im getting talked to but it doesnt seem to sink in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When i read the words "star spangled banner" or "swinging a bat", i could see the objects in my mind, its really cool how our brains can do that. when it comes to reading, i think im a visual person because i seem to understand the charts and pics better than the actual text most of the time.

    ryan dahl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im usure about what Type of reader I am, I like to look at something while Im reading and see how it's done, but i also like being hands on. I like to try something myself and see how it works. I think that's why I like science!!!
    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I am a hands on kind of person, but I also think that I am a visual learner. I believe that I understand things better when I am working with my hands, but I also think that I understand things a lot better when I see graphs or pictures of what I am reading.

    Matthew Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am an auditory learner. When I hear something or listen to directions I get it the first time and remember it.

    Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  15. After reading about all three of the types of learning, I believe I'm a visual learner. I like to see pictures to help describe something, and I like to see the notes on the board as I write them in my notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that last entry was by katie bricker by the way

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like to hear people read or tell something because it sticks in my head more. Then when i read something i usually have to read it over again to remember what it was about.
    -jordan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am more of a visual learner. It seems weird that you learn better this way when someone else is the complete opposite of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe the problem is that I have no imagination. My thoughts are dry and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm definitly an auditory learner. I like to listen and talk things over.

    cortney denlinger. Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  21. haha well the national anthem should be programed into us! haha ITS THE NATIONAL ANTHEM!!! but I see what its trying to say! haha

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am def. a visual learner. If I can't see what i'm learning or be active with it, I won't get it. That's also why i'm not a big fan of school because a lot of teachers like talking about things and not getting you active with the stuff your learning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a visual learner. Sometimes if I cant see what your talking about or if you dont explain it clearly I will not understand you at all. I like watching other people teach me because I grasp it better than if I was to try to do it myself.

    Shane Moore-Section2

    ReplyDelete
  24. Im a hands on and visual learner. I learn by doing and seeing how something is do to fully understand it

    ReplyDelete
  25. Im a visual learner pictures, graphs, diagrams seem to stick in my head. Also i hate when a teacher just sits and talks and you have no clue what she means i like to stay active.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its hard to say which one i am more of... But to order from least to greatest i'd say I'm auditory, kinesthetic, and visual.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have to say I am a visual and audio learner and hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think i can learn in many ways, it depends on the teacher. I can sit there and take notes, but also watch a video , but it has to retain my interest and i'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am a hands on learner. I find that it helps me to remember things if i take brief notes while reading and go back over them every time I need a break from reading.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am probably a visual learner. I like to remember details of images and I can generally recall what a previous lession was on. I also take notes occassionly. It is interesting to see how people are different and how everyone learns.

    Beatrix Bartha

    ReplyDelete
  31. i am also a very hands on kind of learner just like most of the class. i need to physically write things down to remember and understand things.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Its true when I was little I didn't know how to read, I had to teach myself. I also know for a fact that I'm a visual learner, I learn by seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I took a class a week before school started and I took a test and it told me I am an auditory learner. So I guess getting lectured is the best way for me to learn or be in a study group.

    ADAAM VETERE, section 2

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think I am more of a visual learner. I understand better that way.

    Kimberly Harkanson

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think i am a little bit of both, an auditory and a visual learner. I am doing fine in my economics class right now which is all lectures.

    ReplyDelete