Monday, February 6, 2012

5 Ways Blogging Extends Your Curriculum

Did you ever stop to thing about the word, BLOG? I didn't. I just mindlessly adopted the word into my vocabulary and never gave it another thought. That is, until today when I decided to write about blogging for my college class.

I discovered the word, BLOG is actually a contraction for the words, "Web Log", shortened to weblog - we = BLOG. A blog is an online diary where people share their thoughts and daily activities. A blog is a perfect way to being to move from a controlled email communication to a more open form of communication. Blogs can engage students in a digital forum to share their thoughts and reflect on their learning. If you are nervous about trying a blog, let me remind you of your target audience and why you, as their teacher, need to have experience blogging.

Now that I have established a need to blog, here are five ways blogs extend your curriculum.

1. Curriculum note taker – Students take notes during class on the blog. Students can go home and look at notes. Teacher can print and copy notes for whole class. Parents can go on to site and use notes to support their child with homework and improve school-home communication.

2. Curriculum reviewer – Student looks over notes from the week and writes a blog reflecting on major themes and ideas, asks questions, and makes general comments about what was learned throughout the week. Students could also make predictions of what will be learned next. Students can post comments and add information to the blog.

3. Curriculum tutor – Student records tutorials to help with homework and projects. Students could also reflect about the day by providing review questions. Here is a free site to help students begin recording: http://www.screenr.com/ Embed tutorials into the blog for continued learning. Eric Marcos of Santa Monica, CA has collected hundreds of math tutorials for the world to enjoy. Here are some benefits to recording and posting tutorials within your blog:

Benefits to producer: When I am explaining the process, it helps me understand the concept on a deeper level. I have a different way to explain the concept. The tutorial increased my motivation to do the homework because I knew others would hear what I had to say.

Benefits to watcher: I relate better to peer voices because they use familiar language. The delivery of seeing a video helps make the process more concrete. I am able to stop and rewind at my own pace. When my parents don't know how to help me, we watch the tutorial together.

Benefits to teacher: I can practice and record at home and then show it to the whole class, at a station, or allow students who are home sick to watch from home.

4. Curriculum producer – Students create videos prior to a unit (acceleration and build background knowledge), support topic during unit (other examples) or for review. You can get a free educator account at: http://www.animoto.com/

5. Curriculum researcher – Students search for websites, videos, blogs, tweet quotes, and assignments that would improve the unit for future students. Each site can be linked within the blog for easy access and less paper. Students can explore the sites on demand, while they are on the go, or over the weekend.

How do you use blogs to extend your curriculum. Post a comment below or share on my facebook wall. Remember, blogging isn't about perfection, it's about collaborating, communicating and creating better ideas with other educators from around the world.

13 comments:

  1. testing a post

    Mrs. Wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to start blogging so I have a way to communicate with parents that are actually interested in what's happening in the art room! Will be great to let them see what is going on in their student's day.

    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may also be a mentor to other art teachers who are looking for new ideas. Thank you for your willingness to share your experience.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of putting the responsibility for blogging on the students. If a student can explain something (or create a blog about it), then they must understand it. By creating a blog, or adding to a class blog, they probably don't even realize they are learning.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging is two birds with one stone! Students practice their writing and parents can see what they are learning.

      Delete
    2. I especially like the classroom blog idea. That way you don't need to worry about 30+ student accounts. Students can just work on your classroom blog and share everything in one central location.
      Joanna

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of a "curriculum reviewer" for 4th graders. Usually they don't take many notes and have more of a hands on approach to lessons, but by summarizing the lesson the students will have somewhere to go to review the information. I have recently started having my own students blog about our day and what we learned. They can access the blog from home for a nice little review of our day :) I can also add information as a "curriculum tutor" to engage their minds at home!

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these ways are great updated additions to what educators have been learning to do for years. Get students to interact and create material from the content they are learning. The more students interact with the material, the more they and others learn. Plus #3 reminds me of that old adage that if you want to really understand something, teach it to someone else.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Plus #3 reminds me of that old adage that if you want to really understand something, teach it to someone else."

      LOVE this idea! I have my students do this all the time by creating a poster or other visual to teach the information.

      -Kristin

      Delete
  6. There are a lot of benefits from using blogs that I hadn't realized before. It would be great to have something at home that parents and kiddos could use if they need help with a subject area. I look forward to giving it a try!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogging would be such an easy way to have your students working and thinking outside the classroom! It would also be a great tool for parents to better understand what is happening in the classroom as well. This is definitely something worth learning more about, in order to incorporate in my future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The idea of blogs is awesome and seems to be seamless. I have tried to begin to follow blogs or even start one of my own. However, since I have been dabbling in other areas, time for blogging has not been made on my home front.

    I have colleagues who have incorporated blogging into their curriculum as students work on their process. Most of these teachers are ones who teach in a computer lab.

    Katlyn

    ReplyDelete