Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lelish Depaso

As a student in high school I had a very difficult time with reading. I did not read much. I found reading boring and a waste of time because I usually did not understand what I was reading. I only read when I had to. I hated reading so much that when I got reading homework, I tried to find an easy way out, like Spark Notes or Google. Somehow I was able to get what I needed from those web sites so I kept on not reading. Soon, my habits came back to haunt me. Once I got to college I realized that I couldn’t keep doing what I used to do in high school. This was a different game and it required a lot more than just Spark Notes.

My career goal after graduating from college is to become an Engineer. As an engineer I need to read a lot of reports, newspapers and magazines. From Reading Secrets I learned many reading strategies I could use to be a successful reader. College has changed my outlook on reading. I realize that I need to read on a daily bases, whether if it was for English class or philosophy. Two of the most important strategies that helped me become successful in reading were: taking notes and highlighting important words. Taking notes is a great way of helping me identify the most important concepts in class. Even if I had a great memory I would not be able to remember everything I read, but if I have a small written record of notes then I can reflect back on it when I need some information. Highlighting important words can be helpful for most people especially if you have a lot of reading to do. I would recommend highlighting certain words you think are important or words that you couldn’t understand, so later on you can come back to them.

After I started using the strategies I learned in class, I started noticing changes in my grades. Reading assignments became easy for me and I actually started to enjoy reading. I started reading magazines and stories online during my free time because I could easily understand the text. As a result, when I have an assignment due, I easily work on it and I make sure I do it on time, which means my procrastination habit decreased greatly.

I have a little brother in high school. And every time I see him I would tell him not to be like me, to read more often and use strategies such as taking notes and doing his work on time because I don’t want him to end up like me by the time he gets to college. I guess the most important lesson I learned from this class was that you might be a doctor, an engineer or a teacher, but no matter where you go in life or what you would become, reading is a critical and the most important weapon you can acquire.

17 comments:

  1. I was the same way coming in to my first semester. I continued my high school study habits not realizing I needed to change up my routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. taking notes and highlighting helps me too

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading secrets can help you a lot in life, and I'm glad it help you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the exact way in high school! I wasn't a fan of reading so I did everything in my power to get around it by using the same sights you did. I also continued these habits and soon figured out that I needed to change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read, read and read again to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If i could have realized this earlier i would have been a way better student in my first semester.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the transition from high school and college is a little difficult for everyone nd we all come out knowing little of what we need to succeed but this class gives a lot of aways and makes you realize how easy you can make the hardest of your schoolwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. reading things over again and learning new ways to study and understand our work helps us with the transition into college to break our old habits/routine... the radical schedule

    ReplyDelete
  9. reading isnt the funnest thing to do but its educational..i hated reading in high school as weel but i began to make reading fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. when reading you may not understand what you are reading , but if you highlight the important words and make connection you can remember it and a easier way !

    ReplyDelete
  11. college is an everyday struggle to patentionaly greater yourself. So any type of help or keys you can use can only help you more then hurt u so think outside the bun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your story is very inspiring, and good that you realize that you had to make a change. and instead of taking the easy way out, you decided to go ahead with the change.

    keep up the good work and good luck !!!!
    Jacquline Salley

    ReplyDelete
  13. i still hate reading but i can do it better now.. i think next semester will help me more with reading since i am better than what i was in high school. maybe i will start to enjoy it.

    Austin Keller

    ReplyDelete
  14. For Me, I slipped up this semester in one class and i used myreadingsecrets and it helped tremendously! Im glad you got what you wanted out of learning and that you looked out for your brother

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate to her, I really dislike reading before college and I used websites or other people to get pass reading during high school. This class has opened my mind to find easier ways to understand what I read as well as my bad habits. WILLIE HICKS

    ReplyDelete
  16. TaTyana Williams...

    I feel the same way, I have two sisters in high school in their senior year. I wasted a lot of time on projects and I dont want them to be like that. Since I'm in my first semester in college I can tell them what is ahead so they can be prepared for their future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel the same way. Now i always feel like telling my younger friends or relatives the keys to learning becasue I was lost before now. The horrible part is that so many people tried to explain it but never made sense. I am so gratful! Casey M.

    ReplyDelete