Wednesday, October 7, 2009

DRIVE WHILE READING

“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
- Henry Ford

Do you know how to drive? Driving is learning how to monitor your speed and your attention while steering a vehicle from point A to point B. This takes discipline and obedience. There are a lot of events that can add distractions while driving like, cell phones, changing the music, eating, or talking to passengers in the car. There are pressures and temptations when you are late or lost. Sometimes you want to drive too fast and ignore the warning signs.

If you know how to drive a car, you know the cognitive process a mature reader goes through while reading a text. When it comes to reading academic texts you must be able to navigate your thoughts through difficult vocabulary and be prepared to turn around when you get lost. Phase two explains how to DRIVE while you read so you can comprehend the author’s message.

BREAKING IT DOWN

To drive is defined as; being able to steer a vehicle from point A to point B. Sure you may be able to drive a CAR but can you drive; a motorcycle, a tractor trailer, or a bus? Each of the examples above requires different skills to be able to steer the vehicle from point A to point B. In fact, they are so different you must take a driving test to prove you have the skills and then obtain a license in order to safely DRIVE each vehicle.

This is the case for most reading materials. Each text you encounter requires a different set of skills to make meaning. Why do you think you have to take a test for each class you take? Believe me, it’s not because your teacher loves to grade papers. You have to prove you have the skills to read and understand the text in each subject.

Since there are five different steps your mind must go through while DRIVEing with the text I created an acronym to help you remember them. An acronym means each letter in DRIVE represents a step. The next five blogs will explain each letter in detail.

D: Direct Your Metacognition
R: Revisit Vocabulary and Predictions
I: Identify Important Information
V: Visualize the Message
E: Evaluate Your Comprehension

Reality Check

Hey, this is your brain here. I need to talk to you. It really bugs me when you assume I can do all the reading myself. Reading is a two way street buddy; it takes both me (the brain) and you (the reader) to make meaning from these squiggly lines on the page.

First of all, you read too fast. What do you think I am, a NASCAR? After awhile, I’m so confused I crash. I take all that new information and throw it into the junkyard. If you expect me to remember, you need to adjust your reading speed and apply strategies to keep me from thinking about other things.

Second, you skip over new or difficult vocabulary. Avoiding confusing ideas isn’t helpful or a mature decision. With the help of my built-in GPS I will help you find a direct, fast, and efficient route to the meaning of these unknown words and phrases.

Third, you try to memorize every word on the page. It is virtually impossible to remember everything you read, and I ask, why would you want to? Deleting repeated ideas will help you condense the author’s ideas, develop a deeper understanding, and improve your memory. Keeping it simple is always more effective!

Let’s not forget the fact that I enjoy pictures much more than words. By transferring key words and phrases into meaningful pictures, I can recall more information. Get creative by drawing graphic organizers to show the relationship between ideas.

Finally, you never take any time to chat with me. As soon as your eyes reach the end of the chapter you close the book and do other things. Listen, if you aren’t going to take the time to make sure I store the new information into your long-term memory, than I’m not going to take the time to transfer the information. I need you to create a space that allows me to work with the new information and identify ideas for which I am still confused before you jump to a new topic.

We have a long road ahead of us. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

36 comments:

  1. I can see how DRIVE helps, because you can read all day but you dont get anywhere if you dont understand what you're reading. The author's message is the entire reason they are writing the passage, it's important to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how you can relate reading and driving. I will use these methods next time I read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We learned in class that if you compare your reading to previous knowledge it sticks better. So reading is like driving because your successful when you get from point A to point B, which in reading means that you are sucessful when you finish what you need to read

    katie bricker
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the text it says that the process to drive is like the process to read. You need to pay full attention ahead and avoid distractions. I already know that distractions can hinder the progress of cognitive thinking that is needed for driving and reading. As a result, I wonder why these distractions hinder our progress. Our brains can overtake the distractions; why don't they overtake it and succumb to the distractions?

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your theory on driving while reading I like how you put them together to better help you how to use drive when it comes to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think i like DRIVE better than FLIRT. Only because i can make more and better connections with the text. And if i have any questions then i can ask and find out more.

    Tyler Adcock-sec.1

    ReplyDelete
  7. DRIVE's purpose makes sense. Using the example of drivng and the different examples associated with reading really helpped me grasp the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I drive my car I usually go pretty fast, just like when I read. The article says to slow down while reading, this helps your brain to comprehend the material and forces you to stop and review words or phrases that are confusing or unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the text it says you need certain skills to read as you do driving a car. I already know my FLIRTing skills. I wonder how DRIVEing is going to help my skills.

    Sam Swank, Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading the section many things can distract you while reading. I understand you can miss important information if you are distracted. I realized I need to remove distractions.

    Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never thought to compare reading to driving but now that i think of it, it really makes sence. IF you dont know how to read your not going to get anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike Forstoffer JR the post above sorry

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never would even think there was more then flirting with the text i thought that was everything now there is driving. But i do see the resemblance and it really does work. -Lance Conley

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Lance. I thought FLIRT was good enough when i am reading. DRIVE will only get me to be a better reader.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the DRIVE method, it makes sense so far. The pace, the methods to remember and overall it seems like a solid way of reading and remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The more I read about driving while reading the more it makes sense to me. When I compare my reading to previous text and examin questions i have for the text the more of an understanding i gain.

    -latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  17. So this is what drive is. I see how it can make me a better reader, but I think I still like FLIRT better.

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  18. Driving with the text is ok. I think I am just going to have to practice just like I did with FLIRT concept. But if it is going to give me good results in the end then I am willing to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. In the text it said different kinds of machinery needs different types of skills to drive those machinery. I already know if you can drive a car it doesn't mean you can drive a motorcycle. I wonder what different types of DRIVE reading skills are there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In the text it says that the process to read. I all read know about the distraction and eveything else that goes on around me.I wonder why distracions have you all mess up when reading?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that I like driving more than flirting, because it just makes more sense to me. I also think that it is good to understand how to make your brain remember things by just respecting it.
    Abbie Forry
    Section 2

    ReplyDelete
  22. In the text it says reading like driving takes takes discipline. I already know the longer you drive the harder it is to maintain your focus. As a result I wonder how to maintain it longer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In the text it says Direct your metacognition. I already know this is the first step to becoming a more promising reader. As a result, the rest of the acronym needs to be put into place.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the fact of how driving makes with reading so much. I already know that you have to be aware of everything you do while your driving. As a result I can understand more of why we are doing the things we're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can see how DRIVE is supposed to help you and make you a better reader. Also, think DRIVE is better than FLIRT because your trying to pace yourself.

    Het Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  26. In the text it says certain skill are needed to drive a car and to read. I already know how to FLIRT with the text. As a result I wonder how to DRIVE with the text.

    Ryan Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Driving is like reading you have to get from point a to point b. When reading you have to understand what your reading or you dont go any where just like you have to know where your diving.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I never thought reading and driving would relate to each other. After this course is over at the end of the semester I will look back and realize how far i have come.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  29. from waht we have learned so far in DRIVE i have liked it. i understand it a little better and hope to begin using these methods. when we talked about getting from point a to b i understood why it was related to driving. understanding is like reaching your destination.


    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ive realized that alot of things are just like reading. So many things can relate to reading its crazy. It makes it all easier to understand and more fun to do.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete
  31. In the text it is comparing driving a text book to driving a car. I already know that driving is easy, but when you drive long distances you lose your focus. As a result, I wander if driving with the text will work.

    ReplyDelete
  32. In the text it says that each text requires different skills. I already know this from FLIRT. I wonder if DRIVE will be similar to FLIRT.

    ReplyDelete
  33. DRIVE and check
    I will remember:
    -Don't read too fast.
    -Don't skip stuff that you don't know.

    Adam Vetere section 2

    ReplyDelete
  34. 2 words are attention and focus

    I will remember:
    1)DRIVE
    2)Breaking Down

    ReplyDelete
  35. I will remember:
    1. Read at your own pace.
    2. Skip the information that isnt important

    ReplyDelete