Monday, October 19, 2009

Direct Your Metacognition

“Those who know how to THINK need no teachers.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Sirens, flashing lights, bent metal, and broken glass… close your eyes for a minute and visualize a car accident. We’ve seen them on the news, driven by them on the road, or maybe even personally experienced them. Every time you get behind the wheel you are making a promise to other drivers that you will obey the speed limit, keep a safe distance behind other cars, and pay attention to street signs and signals. Your ability to consistently monitor and adjust your driving is directly related to arriving safely at your destination. Unfortunately, some drivers speed, lose control, and take their eyes off the road which causes chaos for other drivers.

Believe it or not, reading demands the same behaviors. Mature readers know their ability to monitor and adjust their speed, apply strategies, and pay attention to the author’s signs and signals (text features) is directly related to arriving with the deepest understanding possible. On the other hand, immature readers take huge risks by procrastinating. As a result, the reader creates pressure to finish the reading as fast as possible. Often they read late at night when their mind should be resting. Then their eyes get blurry from fatigue, they lose their focus and don’t take breaks when their mind is full of new information. Consequently, their mind crashes and they destroy any chance at retaining the new information.
BREAKING IT DOWN:

Your mind does not have a “cruise control” or automatic pilot you can switch on and think about other things. Every thought your mind has can and should be controlled by you. Metacognition, meta means about and cognition means thinking, is a term used to describe a reader’s understanding about their thinking. Metacognition gives you a framework to support and guide your thinking. Once you are aware of how, what, and why you are reading, you will gain better control over your thoughts. As a result, you will create a deeper meaning, become more focused, and retain more information. Mature readers are constantly aware of their thoughts and are able to self regulate or control their thoughts by applying strategies when comprehension breaks down. Read this simple sentence:

Sit still, be quiet, and wait until something pulls your string.

How did it go? You probably read the above sentence quickly, easily, and with 100% accuracy, but do you truly understand what the author is talking about? I call this FAKE READING. It feels like you’re reading, it looks like you’re reading, it even sounds like you’re reading, but you’re not! I know you think reading is being able to identify words on the page; however it is not enough to just read the words correctly. You have to construct meaning.

Let’s do another drive by this sentence while I show you the strategies I used to construct meaning from this sentence.

Sit still, be quiet, and wait until something pulls your string.

1. ASK A QUESTION: What activities can I do with string? Fly a kite, play with a yo-yo, go fishing, jump rope
2. IDENTIFY UNKNOWN WORDS: I need to clarify the word “string” by changing it to the word “line.”
3. MAKE CONNECTIONS: When I read the sentence again; Sit still, be quiet, and wait until something pulls your line, I can make a connection to a day I was sitting by the pond with my father while we tried to catch fish.
4. CREATE PREDICTION: I am going to predict this sentence is about fishing because I don’t have to sit still or be quiet when flying a kite, playing with a yo-yo, or jumping rope. (I know some of you know it alls are thinking I don’t have to be quiet when I fish either but let’s save that argument for another day. I’m trying to illustrate a point here, not teach you how to fish.)
DRIVE involves flexible strategic thinking, which becomes automatic with repeated practice. Remember how long it took you to learn how to drive. It took days, weeks, and even months to be the fabulous driver you are now. Learning how to notice your thinking doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time to condition your cognition. Being able to sustain a focused thought takes practice. You must be patient with yourself and allow the mind time to rest. Your mental capacity to direct your metacognition is strengthened every time you adjust the pace of reading, apply different strategies when you’re confused and stop when your mind needs a break. (See Condition your Cognition for suggestions on strengthening your metacognition.)

30 comments:

  1. The author wants me to read the text slow and make predictions about the text. It is not enough just to understand the words. I already know I need to slow down my reading pace to understand what im reading. Now that I know this, I will break down the reading material.
    -Anthany Heindel

    ReplyDelete
  2. DRIVE involves flexible strategic thinking, which becomes automatic with prepeated practice. To make DRIVE second nature you need to do it all the time like brushing your teeth. I'm Curious what strategies will make my DRIVE better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author wants me to read slow so I can understand all the information. DRIVE is very useful this way because I am reading slow to retain as much information as I can. I find DRIVEn very easy and helpful to use.
    Abbie Forry
    Section2

    ReplyDelete
  4. It isnt always enough just to understand what the words and sentences say. It isnt always about the literal meaning. Sometimes its about reading it slow and taking what the author wants you to grab from it and understand. Thats what DRIVE does for me in reading.

    Nourdean Bentajar

    ReplyDelete
  5. The author wants me to read the slow to not miss anything and understand everything I read.I already know that reading the text slow will result in understanding the information.Im curious what kind of drive techniques i will use to become a better reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The author wants me to read slow so I don't miss what I am reading and that I understand everything. I already know that when I read things slow I remember them better when I read over them fast. Im curious to find out what all I can remember with using this DRIVE technique?

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what I read in the text, I learned that reading demands the same behaviors as driving; your mind does not have cruise control! I also learned in this text that mature readers use their metacognition to support and guide their thinking! To summarize the main points, one should be thinking a lot and using their metacognition when reading. Leave the free reading to the immature readers!

    Andrew Thompson Section 1

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Author wants me to read very careful and in a slow pace so that I wont miss any information that I read. I already know that reading carefully will allow me to grasp the information better. I am curious about how well I am going to be with this DRIVE technique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The author compares driving fast and recklessly to reading late and not understanding, because driving reckless is just like reading recklessly, you're going entirely too fast to see everything and you miss important things, like red lights or key words. I am curious to see how much more I will get from my reading by DRIVE-ing slower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The author describes that you have to identify words you dont understand. I can picture a dictionary in my head and i will remember that a dictionary will help me identify the words i struggle with. -Lance Conley

    ReplyDelete
  11. The author wants me to read slow and carefully so I understand the information. I already know that when I read slowly and carefully I know the information better. I'm curious of how this will help on DRIVE.

    Het Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  12. The author describes reasing can be like a car crash. I can see someone taking their eye off of the text and not remebering what they just read. I will remember you have to pay attention to a book like traffic in a car.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the text it says, DRIVE involves flexible strategic thinking, which becomes automatic with repeated practice. I already know my mind can become more efficent by using DRIVE because the neurons complete thoughts to my brain allowing me to comphrend what I am reading. As a result, I am fascinated by how the mind works with the body to process and comphrehend what your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the text it says(Your mind does not have a “cruise control” or automatic pilot you can switch on and think about other things.)

    I already know the mind can get distracted easily.

    As a result I wonder(Is there a way to not get distracted so easily?)

    David Crisfield

    ReplyDelete
  15. The author describes your mind and says it isnt like an autopilot. I can see the comparison between the two. I will remember that I cant think about other things while I read and that I need to focus.

    Logan Gurreri

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never really knew i did a lot of FAKE READING. I really just read fast and dont understand what the true message is. But if i ask questions, identify unknown words, and make a lot of connections then i have a better time undersand and remembering what i just read.

    Tyler Adcock sec. 1

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the text it says that every thought you have, you must be in control. I already know that if your mind had cruise control, reading would be the easiest thing to do. I wonder how I can keep my mind in control.
    Jake Carr

    ReplyDelete
  18. In the text is says that Metagognition gives you a framework to support and guide your thinking. I already know that this is very important to stay interested in the text and fully understand it. Therefore, i need to direct my full attention to the text so that i can start building on my knowledge the text is giving me, instead of FAKE reading.


    Dustin R. Wagnon

    ReplyDelete
  19. In the text it says that DRIVE requires your mind to be flexible. I already know how to adapt to varied situations. I wonder how to DRIVE better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. in the text it said that directing your metacognition is strengthened every time you adjust the pace of reading. So i thought that i know how to adjust the pace of my reading. as a result i will focus on understanding my thoughts throughout reading

    -Latifah Pittman

    ReplyDelete
  21. im learning that if i read slower, i will probably understand the text more then i have been. i need to study tonight for two quizzes so when i read the texts i will try harded not to just skim material, but i will read it slow.

    katie bricker
    section 1

    ReplyDelete
  22. The author wants me to read the slow to not miss anything and comprehend the information. I already know that reading the text slow will help me remember the information better. I am curious how DRIVE is going to help my reading.

    -Ryan Althoff

    ReplyDelete
  23. In the text it says that we might think we are reading but really we arnt. When we read we might read the words but the author states that we arnt truly understanding the meaning of the text. Because of this we need to take our time and break down the text and direct our medecognition.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Metacognition
    I will remember:
    Breaking it down, giving time to learn info and not loading your brain with everything at once.
    Create a deeper meaning, dig deeper into what your learning or trying to understand.

    Jen Fink

    ReplyDelete
  25. Directing Metacognition
    I will remember:
    String-making connections in short term memoy
    Stratigies-ask questions,unkown words, make connections.

    Pete Floyd

    ReplyDelete
  26. Slow Down
    1. understand
    1. no fake reading.

    ReplyDelete
  27. drive makes your mind be flexible when you read. i know it works for me. i want to know more about drive to be able to use it more.

    ReplyDelete
  28. metacognition and understanding
    I will remember:
    -Ask questions.
    -Make connections.

    Adam Vetere section 2

    ReplyDelete
  29. 2 words would be awareness and metacognition

    I will remember:
    1)"cruise control"
    2taking your time

    ReplyDelete